• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need ideas for a 75

TMSB805

Members
Rarely do i get the opportunity to restock any of my tanks but now i do. Looking to get some ideas from you guys. I've been thinking about giving a bartoni another shot or may H. Tamosopoensis but not sure if the Tamos would be ok in a 75 long term. I'd like to keep something i've never kept. Below is a list of what i've kept. All suggestions welcome :)

Astatheros Nourisatti
Astatheros Longimanus F0 "Rio Grande de Matagalpa"
Astatheros Alfari F0 'Rio Segundo' Costa Rica
Astatheros Rostratus F0 "Rio Grande de Matagalpa
Theraps Lentiginosus
Amphilophus Lyonsi
Cryptoheros Panamensis
Cryptoheros Septemfasciatus F0 'limon' Costa Rica

Gymnogeophagus Australis
Gymnogeophagus Tiraparae "Rio Yi"
Gymnogeophagus gymnogenys "Rio Cureim"
Gymnogeophagus Caaguazuensis
Gymnogeophagus Labiatus "Rio Olimar"
Gymnogeophagus rhabdotus "Lunarejo
Australoheros Scitulus F2 Lunarejo

Ex Cichlasoma Festae
Ex Cichlasoma Pearsi
Ex Cichlasoma Bocourti
Ex Cichlisoma Istlanum
Veija Regani
Veija Synspilum
Veija Hartwegi
Veija Maculicauda
Parachromis Managuense
Parachromis Dovii
Parachromis Motoguense
Parachromis Losellei
Parachromis Fredrichstalli
Thorichthys Passiones
Thorichthys Meeki
Thorichthys Maculippinis
Rocia Octofasciatus
Chuco Godmanni
Chuco Microphthalmus
Cryptoheros Cutteri
Cryptoheros HRP
Cryptoheros Sajica
Cryptoheros Coatepeque
Cryptoheros Myrnae
Archocentrus Multispinosus
Herichthys Carpintis
Herichthys Bartoni
Herichthys Deppi
Hypsophrys Nicaraguense
Petenia Splendida
Theraps Wesselli
Cichla Ocellaris
Heros Efasciatus
Hypselecara Temporalis
Andinoacara Rivulatus

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'm on my second go around with tamasopoensis. The first group that I kept I picked up at the ACA auction in 2012. I started with a group of 8 young adults (around 3" fish). I kept them in my 180 with a bunch of other fish, and after an apparent pair formed, one by one the others met their demise. When I was down to just the pair, the male picked a fight with a fish twice his size and didn't survive. The female still resides in my 180, not really aggressive with other fish but defends her little spot beneath some driftwood vigorously.

I have a group of 8 growing out now in a 75 with some microphthamus. The plan is to move the micros once they get bigger and keep a pair of tamos in the 75. I'd offer you some of my juvies, but they are only at about 2" now and still have some growing to do.

Are you willing to divide the tank once a pair forms? I've always wanted to keep herichthys labridens from media luna (the yellow ones). My only experience with labridens were the blue ones, and they were meaner than snot. I'd be afraid that a 75 would be too small without the divider.

spazmattik

Members
+1 with jon on the herichthys labridens. Cool looking fish.

You have kept all the parachromis. Why not move down the amphilophus list? Lol i may even have a few fish for you!

TMSB805

Members
I've always wanted to try some of the labridens but stayed away from them because of the crazy stories of con specific aggression. For that reason i'd be very hesitant to put them in a 75. They may not last long enough to get a pair.

No more amphs for me especially in a 75. Sometime in the future i will try Trimacs in a larger tank.

TMSB805

Members
Sooooo, I'm on the fence about what to put in the 75. I had my mind made up about moving my rostratus trio from the 300 to the 75. Then I saw a beautiful pair of grammodes. The male was a good 7" and the female is 6.5". Any experience with these guys. Would they be ok in a 75?

blkmjk

Members
I wouldn't I think he will kill her after the move even if they gave been nice leading up to that day. I seriously would go with bartoni or labradens. Awesome looking fish. Could also do some beani but I think they are too over the edge aggressive for long term 75 gallon capacity.

Drew

TMSB805

Members
thanks for the input Drew. Fortunately i made Jon talk me out of getting them. lol. I think i'm just going to move some wild rostratus in there and call it a day.