• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Identify geophagus

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Looks like an altifrons type, but I am terrible about determining exactly what type it is. Where did you get it from?

npbarca

Members
I got it at congressional aquarium, it was only labeled geophagus. I've been trying to figure out myself, but I can't get a clear match.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Looks like it, I was gonna say altifrons but they seem to have taller bodies so it's probably surinamensis.

npbarca

Members
Definitely not a surinamensis. I'm thinking altifrons or proximus. The guy at congressional said someone brought it in, so I'm keeping the options open.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I don't think there are actually many true suriamensis in the hobby, although that is what a lot of wholesalers sell them as. Most are either altifrons, alabios, or one of the others that all kind of look similar at that size.

npbarca

Members
Now that I look at it, it could be surinamensis but they seem more red and with longer flowing fins.