• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Dirted aquarium growth

ErnieG

Members
These are pics of my dirted tanks except for the 55gallon dirted tank because I need to clean it, went to pvas today and picked up some guppies, angelfish, breeding pair of apisto peba, bushy nose, java moss, and snails. Me and my buddy Eugene had a ball trying to out bid each other lol, hope you guys in enjoy the tanks.

image.jpg

AquaStudent

Members
Fun stuff! You've really got a jungle going on there. Dirt make plants go NUTS! It's amazing what happens when you get nutrients to those roots!

ErnieG

Members
Tell me about it Tony, I can't help my self. I think I'm going to dirt my third 55 gallon tank.

AquaStudent

Members
Tell me about it Tony, I can't help my self. I think I'm going to dirt my third 55 gallon tank.

I had a dirted 5g back in the day with a full carpet and some crazy gorgeous crypts. Issue was I moved my tanks to and from college and every time I moved some of the dirt would seep through the cap. It got sooooo messy!

A 55 jungle would be fantastic to look at!

ErnieG

Members
Thanks again for the comments guys, I gave my 3rd 55 gallon to my grandfather and he wanted some Central American cichlids but he loves my dirted tanks so much that he wants me to dirt it. I have setup about 5 dirted tanks for fellow hobbyist that wanted there tanks dirted, so I'm having a blast with this and the fish respond better to a more natural tank. I have eggs from my double red cacatuoides and I only had them for a week.

These look great. This is something I've wanted to try, but just haven't decided on what tank and how to approach. I've seen some take small tanks to ponds and pull dirt from there. Is that the best manner, or does it really matter. I know the grass in my yard barely grows in this clay and rock bed...lol

Sent from my C6916 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
This makes me want to tear apart the 150 and add dirt. Of course, the catfish would just dig it up.

skanda

Members
How do you dirt a tank? What is the recepie? Can you post some steps on dirting a tank with pics if possible?

AquaStudent

Members
How do you dirt a tank? What is the recepie? Can you post some steps on dirting a tank with pics if possible?
j

I used Miracle Grow Organic Choice. You want to make sure there are no fertilizer capsules or delayed release plant foods.

It's as simple as put an inch or two of the dirt on the bottom of the tank then cap it with a couple inches of your favorite substrate. Large grain gravel doesn't work as well as smaller gravel or sand (it's harder to plant in large grain gravel anyway).

I did a video a few years back when I dirted my 5g tank. It's cheesy but if you want some video it shows the process. I didn't use the correct dirt in the video but the process is the correct idea. You may also want to remove as much of the mulch as possible. Running the dirt through a skullamackaroon (pasta strainer) helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly0ms5q5C9I

ErnieG

Members
These look great. This is something I've wanted to try, but just haven't decided on what tank and how to approach. I've seen some take small tanks to ponds and pull dirt from there. Is that the best manner, or does it really matter. I know the grass in my yard barely grows in this clay and rock bed...lol

Sent from my C6916 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

It doesn't matter but I prefer to use new dirt, and you have to use clay as you can see I have just dirt in my tanks.

ErnieG

Members

I posted a step by step on how to dirt a tank in this new world section, I will find it and tell you where to look.

ErnieG

Members
j

I used Miracle Grow Organic Choice. You want to make sure there are no fertilizer capsules or delayed release plant foods.

It's as simple as put an inch or two of the dirt on the bottom of the tank then cap it with a couple inches of your favorite substrate. Large grain gravel doesn't work as well as smaller gravel or sand (it's harder to plant in large grain gravel anyway).

I did a video a few years back when I dirted my 5g tank. It's cheesy but if you want some video it shows the process. I didn't use the correct dirt in the video but the process is the correct idea. You may also want to remove as much of the mulch as possible. Running the dirt through a skullamackaroon (pasta strainer) helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly0ms5q5C9I

Everything you said was good but I have to disagree with you on running the dirt through a strainer, that will take lots of nutrients out of the dirt and there's really no reason to strain it because you can't get the dirt clear anyway. Just put 1 1/2 inch of dirt and spray it down, then cap it with small grain gravel or sand. Fill your tank up with water and for the next 3 days do a 90percent water change in the morning. After your third water change plant you tank like crazy and you want to start cycling your tank at this time. The best way to cycle a dirted tank is to use the old filter media and add guppies or and other hardy.

ErnieG

Members
Here's my 55 gallon dirted tank, this is the tank that made me fell in love with dirt lol. I finally got a chance to trim and do a water change so enjoy guys.

image.jpg

AquaStudent

Members
Everything you said was good but I have to disagree with you on running the dirt through a strainer, that will take lots of nutrients out of the dirt and there's really no reason to strain it because you can't get the dirt clear anyway. Just put 1 1/2 inch of dirt and spray it down, then cap it with small grain gravel or sand. Fill your tank up with water and for the next 3 days do a 90percent water change in the morning. After your third water change plant you tank like crazy and you want to start cycling your tank at this time. The best way to cycle a dirted tank is to use the old filter media and add guppies or and other hardy.

Running it through a strainer is just to remove the pieces of mulch that's mixed in. All the actual dirt particles will stay in the system.

I've found that the wood pieces are what makes the dirt messier as those parts tend to float at first, become waterlogged, then sink to the top of the substrate (where we can see them)

Becca

Members
I wonder what would happen if you packaged the dirt in nylon netting and then carefully laid out your plants by cutting slits in the netting, then covering over with sand, then filling with water?

It would make plants and dirt a LOT harder to dig up, but also harder to move if you ever wanted to move them. If the sand bed on top were deep enough, you could still add new plants, though they wouldn't be immediately rooted in your bags of dirt.

ErnieG

Members
Running it through a strainer is just to remove the pieces of mulch that's mixed in. All the actual dirt particles will stay in the system.

I've found that the wood pieces are what makes the dirt messier as those parts tend to float at first, become waterlogged, then sink to the top of the substrate (where we can see them)

I never had that problem, maybe you didn't cap your dirt very well. When capping dirt you start at the sides and work your way to the middle.

ErnieG

Members
I wonder what would happen if you packaged the dirt in nylon netting and then carefully laid out your plants by cutting slits in the netting, then covering over with sand, then filling with water?

It would make plants and dirt a LOT harder to dig up, but also harder to move if you ever wanted to move them. If the sand bed on top were deep enough, you could still add new plants, though they wouldn't be immediately rooted in your bags of dirt.

That's a great idea and you could maybe keep those catfish you like so much.