• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

African Cichlid tank set up questions!

ejackson2478

Members
So I recently bought a 55 gallon aquarium at my LFS. I really want to make it an African cichlid tank, preferably lake malawi/mbuna cichlids. I have the filtration, heating and lids covered but how should I set it up? I was thinking about using slate for the rock, but I'm not sure. Also, what should I use for the substrate? I've heard you shouldn't put the rocks right on the bottom of the tank, and I have heard that you should put the rocks in first as African cichlids can dig and cause the rock set up to fall over. Any suggestions? (Sorry this was so long!)

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

verbal

CCA Members
I think stacks of slate are a good option. If you design the stacks well they can provide a lot of hiding space and be very stable. It probably is a good idea to start with the stacks on the glass and then add the substrate.

Pool filter sand is popular in this club as an option for substrate. You also can used some type of crushed coral substrate to increase your pH and water hardness.

CichlidOWNR

Members
In my 55g tank, I went to a local creek, that feeds into a local river, to pick up river rock. These were free and easily cleaned and provides a plethora of hiding spaces. I got Pool Filter Sand from a pool supply store for my substrate. As was previously suggested, I added crushed coral in the pool filter sand to help buffer ph and water harness.

I first placed the rocks into the aquarium directly on the glass and then filled in with the PFS around the rocks. This way the fish can't dig underneath the rocks causing a shift. I stack my rocks about 60 to 70 percent of the total height to provide a lot of hiding places. My stock is Ps. Saulosi, I. Sparangae (Rusties) and Syndontis Petricola.

Edited Note: Picture of my set up is my avatar.

Last edited:

chriscoli

Administrator
I use fieldstone that we had leftover from a landscaping project. You can also get it at places like Irwin Stone (http://www.irwinstone.com/). They have a place where they toss the leftover pieces from pallets of rock that have fallen apart and you can pick through them. It's pretty cheap that way.

I do like putting egg crate under my rocks, but it's really just because I don't like listening to the screech noise it makes on the glass if I have to shift anything around.

Yes, they dig. Sometimes they dig A LOT so you are correct about putting the stones in first. I've used the fancy "cichild substrate" which is fine, but I've also used pool filter sand, which is a lot cheaper and usually pretty clean from the start.

As Jesse said....create lots of hiding spaces and caves. I go for a good mix of a few big caves (for a male to defend and spawn in), a bunch of medium to small caves and nooks (for individual fish to hide in to recover or hang out if they're being picked on), and some small crannies for any fry that might happen to survive.

ejackson2478

Members
Thanks everyone for your advice! I think what I'm going to use pool filter sand and crushed coral for the substrate and try to find free rocks around parks that I can use... But I'll definitely post an update to when the rank is up and running!

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

STATMATT

Members
ejackson,

look to get your fish at club meetings or auctions or people advertising in the Marketplace. As a new AC tank keeper, the temptation is to go to Petco etc... and get some Africans, but they are never quite as healthy as you expect and or when they grow up they are not what you thought you purchased.

Statmatt

Hawkman2000

Members
If you use the right filter, you can put the crushed coral in a bag in the filter. That way it will have more contact with the water, double as bio-media, and won't alter the appearance of the sand. The pieces would have to be between 1/4" - 2/3" though.

You could also use african cichlid sand for substrate. It would be more expensive, but you wouldn't have to use crushed coral.

I also use rocks from my local stream. Provides good diversity for the rock stacks. I scrub and boil the hell out of them before placing them in the tank. I use silicone to glue them in place so that they don't move, and it provides nice cave for the fish.