• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What would you do if you had two 150 gal tubs?

chriscoli

Administrator
I recently picked up the two 150 gal Rubbermaid tubs from ChuckSon, and it's got me thinking ahead to next spring. Yes, I know...it's a little early, but I'm excited and looking for ideas and inspiration.

If you had two 150 gallon tubs, what would you do with them?

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I might try some sort of aquaponics setup.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
Start looking for a new place to live because I'd be kicked out!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I'd grow greens... Kale, chard and the like. Rather than tilapia, I'd use goldfish. If I only did this with one tub, I might add a diverter valve and flow restrictor on the second tub and use it to grow out or spawn some fish of interest.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've been in exactly that situation, Christine - they're awesome and useful for lots of things.

Back in the day, I used one of the troughs to house a couple of colonies of Malawi haps (I want to say Lethrinops). I set it up on concrete blocks and a piece of plywood / styro to keep it off the ground and make it easier to drain indoors.

In California, I started out with the tubs for aging water in my fishroom. Water from the tubs fed my auto water change system (pump in tub on timer would send water to the drip system; hose re-filled tubs).

When it was just as easy to use tap water for the drip system, I converted the two tubs to living quarters for a giant African Lungfish ("Lenny") and a nearly 2 foot Ornate Poly who started eating his tank maters (like Chalceus). I had a ball valve and hose on the drain spout so doing water changes was easy.

They'd be great in your fishroom as a sump to add a bunch of volume to a drilled system for fry grow out or maybe home to a colony of mouthbrooders. Really easy to do water changes on a big sump vs. each tank. You could also put a bunch of pond-y plants in it to absorb nitrates for the system.

Lots of possibilities!

Matt

chriscoli

Administrator
I totally agree that there are a lot of possibilities! I hadn't even thought of using it for,water storage.....very interesting thought!

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I'd do aquaponics in one and through a ray in the other :)
I use a 150 gallon for my aquaponics and they work great for that, I can give you a plan on how I built mine if you're serious about it.

Terri

CCA Members
Agree--rubbermaids great for ray keeping! :happy0021:

I'd do aquaponics in one and through a ray in the other :)
I use a 150 gallon for my aquaponics and they work great for that, I can give you a plan on how I built mine if you're serious about it.

Terri

CCA Members
I'd put them outside in the spring, fill w/ pond plants, & add fish you most want to breed. This is especially good for any that are normally considered difficult breeders--it's amazing what a little spring/summer sun will do to facilitate natural behaviors. Should work for lots of species--cichlids, cories, anabantoids, to name just a few. :-D

verbal

CCA Members
I would consider use on early in the season for Gymnogeophagus or something else that benefits from a cooling period. They either can be used all season with them hopefully breeding or could be switched to indoor breeding tanks and used for grow-outs of a more typical tropical species.

I know a couple of people have had good success with Tetras breeding over the summer. I would try a nice tetra species or one of the hardier rainbowfish.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I had success with diamond tetras in a 40 gallon tub. I imagine they'd reproduce prolifically in a bigger tub. I might try some congo tetras.

I'd also ask Rachel O'Leary for her thoughts. I think she had danios that were very happy in outdoor tubs.

Terri

CCA Members
In years past, I had great luck w/ a 15g tub I originally set up for dwarf varieties of pond plants. Over the last 5 years have bred Jewels, Apistos, native livebearers, killies, even some native cyprinids.

One note, though, if ya go for side-climbing spp. (i.e. gobies, plecos, Hillstream loaches), be sure to keep the H2O level down at least 5-6" or they may wind up literally going over the edge. Also keep an eye on the level when there's heavy rains that may raise the level close to the lip--lost some young koi due to this just last spring. :-(

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I did Buenos Aries tetras ( 5 to 7) outside and had hundreds in the fall. If you get sun do water hyacinth. Great roots that eat all the fish waste and give you gorgeous flowers. Food you can get at the market but those flowers feed your soul. Some of your favorite Africans in the other one. The colors are amazing when you keep them outside and they breed like crazy. Water lettuce is good too. With a 150 you could even do water lilies or even small Lotus. Have fun next spring.