• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fixing a small leak

mchambers

Former CCA member
I've got a tank that has a leak at one corner, near the top. If I drop the water level two inches, the water stops coming out.

I know that you're not supposed to try to seal only part of a tank, because new silicone won't adhere to old silicone, but I am sorely tempted to remove the upper two inches of silicone in that corner, and try to seal that spot.

Even thought it probably won't work, it seems like a low risk venture, so why not try? Thoughts appreciated.

Matt C.

Becca

Members
Try going over it with some pond foam or underwater epoxy

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JLW

CCA Members
You can do that, and it'll fix the leak.

You'll have a new leak where the two beads of silicone meet, but the original one will be fixed.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yes, that's what I feared. The leak worsened yesterday, so I guess I'm going to reseal the whole tank.

JLW

CCA Members
Yep -- that's one of the big problems with a leaky tank. You've got a weak bit of silicone up at the top, and it's under pressure. Give it time, and it'll slowly tear further and further down, until it reaches a critical point.

Then it tears all the way down.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yes, that's what's been happening. Last night, I was in my fishroom when water started dripping out of that tank, so I lowered the level another half inch. I think I will empty the tank out tonight.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Hah

Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade!
Not a bad idea! Anyone looking to sell a 40 high or something else with a 36"x13" footprint?

Emptied the tank last night. The good news is that, in addition to the Corydoras weitzmani adults I knew I had, I found four juvies and two fry!

clearsky5

CCA Members
So Matt:
are you planning on just resealing the inside bead, or the whole tank?
I have had experience with replacing one pane in a tank....
the most important thing is to remove "every" little bit of old glue, or you wont get a good seal.
take a good flashlight (strong beam) and after you think you have scraped off all the old silicone, use the flashlight and run it down along the edges to make sure there is no residual glue. (with the strong light, old glue shows a bit of a 'shadow' but just easier to view) even a small bit will leave a weak spot where the new glue is applied.

good luck
david

lkelly

Members
Emptied the tank last night. The good news is that, in addition to the Corydoras weitzmani adults I knew I had, I found four juvies and two fry!

Same thing happened to me last time I cleaned out my car. Found 2 juveniles in the back seat and a bunch of fries.