• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

School me on the Sunsun 304b purchase options & set-up, please!

Slater

Members
On my 90 I'm running an eheim 2217 canister only
Figured with the cost of the Sunsun 304b on eBay, really can't go wrong & worth a shot to get some more filtration...
So those of you running the aquatop, marineland, sunsun, etc, could use some insight before placing my order!
Really not up to speed on what would be best on how to configure the media trays & with what media. Buy theres or use other options?
Its just $10 extra to buy the canister with their media combo. Im set on not running carbon & was told I can substitute for a pack of blue filter pad.
Here's what comes in the media package:
1 Blue coarse filter sponge
1 bag of Active Carbon in mesh media bag
1 bag of ceramic rings in mesh media bag
40 pieces of bio-balls
If I'm not running carbon what should I put in its place, more ceramic rings, bio balls, or just blue filter pad?
They also have a media option which includes additional bioballs & ceramic rings?Should I even opt for their media, if not, please give me some insight.
Don't mind spending the money for a better media option...

The ebay supplier also mentioned this in my correspondence:
Hello, here are some tips for placing filter media in canister filter:
Put the white filter pad in the first basket (the bottom one)
Activated carbon in the 2nd basket
Bio balls in the 3rd basket
Ceramic rings in the 4th basket (the top one)
You can place one bag of filter media in each tray, if you want better filtration, you can also place two bag in each tray, thank you.

mchambers

Former CCA member
The supplier's package isn't bad for the price. If you have extra media lying around, you could use that instead, but it's going to cost you more than $10 to bill the four baskets if you have to buy everything new.

Generally, you want to put the coarsest filtering media in the bottom basket, something finer above that, and biomedia (ceramic rings or something similar) in the top basket. Carbon is okay, but isn't effective for that long, so I think most experienced aquarists don't use it. In my canisters, I use a variety of media, but I can't say the specifics make a big difference.