• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Undrilled Tanks...No problem...DIY Siphon Overflow

dogofwar

CCA Members
Although I haven't set it up yet in my new fishroom (kinda busy), I've had drip auto-water changers in my last two. And most of my tanks aren't drilled.

With a little PVC you can be in business in no time...with a DIY siphon overflow. I DON'T recommend these in high flow situations...but I've had them on drip systems with very little maintenance (i.e. re-priming them) for years.

Here's what you'll need (I've used 3/4" or 1" PVC and fittings) per overflow:

4 each 90 degree fittings
1 each T fitting
2 each 6" lengths of PVC
1 each 8" length of PVC
2 each 2" lengths of PVC

I don't glue the pieces together.

You'll need to attach the overflow to a drain (also with PVC). I had a central drain for all of the overflows in my fishroom (going to the central drain in the house).

To start the overflow, you cover one of the outlets with your hand and suck the other end (to get a siphon going). I'm sure that there are more dextrous people who are able to get a siphon started without sucking...but not me
smile.png

The other part of a DIY water change system is the way to add water to the tank. I'll do a thread on that another time but (in a nutshell) you run a drip irrigation line with branches to each of your tanks.

Here are some step-by-step instructions and a picture of some drains on tanks. In my garage fishroom in Cali, I had access to the back of 3/4 of my racks...so I put the drains on the back (where they were hidden). http://www.laketang.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=341&d=1320513179

DCP_5101.jpg

DCP_5100.jpg

DCP_5107.jpg

DCP_5108.jpg

Jmty

Members
an overflow in each tank to a drain pipe and a water faucet next to the drain would do the same ?, might have to have water in the pipe at all times ??? would that work ? just guessing or is just a brain fart.

dogofwar

CCA Members
You establish a siphon in each of the overflows. When the water goes above a certain level, it automatically drains.

Adding water to the tank can be as easy as adding water to each tank (filling it the brim and letting the overflow remove the excess) or something more elaborate (e.g. drip lines to each tank).

In my fishroom in California, I ran plastic irrigation line (in a big loop) above all of the tanks in the room (attached to the ceiling). I ran a drip line from the main line to each tank. When I turned the water on (from the tap or the big Rubbermaid trough, depending on which water I wanted to use), water went to each tank... and when the water level in tanks > the drain level of the overflow, water drained through the drain lines and into floor drain (or yard).

Anyone have the Biotope article on this? Would have been like 2008 :)

Matt