• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Acrylic vs Plexiglass

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Okay, what is the difference between the acrylic that they make tanks out of and the plexiglass you get at home depot?

Can I make dividers with small holes from the plexi or should I figure its too expensive and possibly deadly to the fish?

Rasta Fish

Members
I use plexiglass from home depot without any issues
It is expensive so if this is for glass tanks maybe getting glass would be cheaper
Also if this is for deviders for larger fishes I would recommend using egg crate work great and will let water flow through it easily

JLW

CCA Members
Plexi-Glass is a brand of Acrylic.

You're asking what's the difference between Quaker Oats and oatmeal. ;)

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I was actually trying to come up with an idea for either a fry set up with small tanks and a central system or possibly a system with tank that is divided into small sections that the water flows through. Sort of like you see stores hold saltwater stuff. One to hold colored up males before I take to an event.
Holding area but with lots of water.
The biggest problem I have is getting enough males to color at one time. Grow out tanks will hold 1 or 2. Then you have to pull it out to get another one to color up. Not enough tanks. Thinking something for temp housing for them.

I did look at a video that Ted Judy had a year or so ago. Need to look again.

Spine

Members
Use plexi, mark it off with masking tape an use a fresh/sharp drill bit. If you use a drill press and a stop block it probably will look better.

chriscoli

Administrator
Josh has a long tank divided up into individual compartments with flow-through that he had bettas in.....it's sort of exactly like what I was looking for only small scale.

Josh, was that custom-built?

JLW

CCA Members
That thing is awesome. They're not custom built -- they're expensive, though. I think they run $150 or so.

I got mine from a store that was throwing six of them away. For some reason, he only let me have one of them, and threw the other five away... I was mad.

JLW

CCA Members
For those who don't know, gluing acrylic is called "welding," because the glue actually melts the acrylic a little bit, and then fuses it together. Like a welding iron -- you don't use heat.

It isn't too bad, I've built a few tanks and such out of it, as well as doing repairs on them. The big thing is to make sure that your edges are perfectly smooth, free of burrs, etc. That is the big advantage of having your pieces cut professionally -- if there's a little tick or something in the edge, it won't bond very well.

FishEggs

define experience.
I've done it here and there for occasional repairs to things mostly not related to aquariums.

lkelly

Members
Let me replace the word "experience" with "experiences". I'm interested in any thoughts, ideas, anecdotes....

How about songs?

51XopVPfDOL.jpg

FishEggs

As previously stated clean, smooth edges are important but more important are striaght edges. If small enough, before gluing, i assemble everything holding it together with masking tape to make sure it all fits correctly. Once glue is applied no going back if its wrong.

chriscoli

Administrator
As previously stated clean, smooth edges are important but more important are striaght edges. If small enough, before gluing, i assemble everything holding it together with masking tape to make sure it all fits correctly. Once glue is applied no going back if its wrong.

And I assume gaps can't be filled if a cut is a little off...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HoleyRockofTex

CCA Members
I have actually done this before with great success. I divided a 70 gallon seamless glass tank for fry / juvies. One thing to consider however is that silicone will not adhere to acrylic. I just used a large amount that would just hold it in place without it actually binding. Good luck and let us know how it works out.