• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

HOB for new 55 gallon

Aqua410

Members
I am going to be setting up a 55 gallon when it arrives. I still haven't ordered filters yet. I want to go with HOB's for this tank and was wondering for a typically stocked 55gal mbuna tank would I want two AC70's or Two AC110's? Also I was wondering if mixing and matching HOB's might be viable like a emporer 280 and an AC110. Any advice is appreciated.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I prefer Aquaclear HOB filters to any other manufacturer, but there are varying opinions everywhere. If cost isn't a big issue, I'd go with 2 AC110s. They move a lot of water and are relatively easy to maintain. Is it a bit of overkill for a 55? Maybe, but I like to over filter rather than under filter.

Becca

Members
I prefer Aquaclear HOB filters to any other manufacturer, but there are varying opinions everywhere. If cost isn't a big issue, I'd go with 2 AC110s. They move a lot of water and are relatively easy to maintain. Is it a bit of overkill for a 55? Maybe, but I like to over filter rather than under filter.

Agreed on the preference for AquaClears.

I have two AC70's on a 55 and they provide a good amount of water movement and seem to do a better job than the Eheim 2215 I'd had on there previously (though I do love Eheims). Water is always crystal clear, and they don't push the tank too far off the wall (part of why I went with 70's rather than 110's).

Tangcollector

Staff member
I would also go with 2 AC110's. If you are going to stock heavily like most Mbuna tanks, then I think this would work well.

Aqua410

Members
Thanks guys! I'm trying to hit the sweet spot with filtration, lighting, and heating to not spend a mint, but I do want to get the right gear to be successful.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
From a cost of operation perspective, I think AC filters are the way to go. Media lasts for a long time and you don't have to buy replacement cartridges.

Don't skimp on a heater. Its probably the most important money you spend on your tank. There are way too many stories of folks who lost hundreds of dollars worth of livestock because of a heater malfunction. Saving $20 now to lose $200 worth of fish is a bad deal.

Aqua410

Members
From a cost of operation perspective, I think AC filters are the way to go. Media lasts for a long time and you don't have to buy replacement cartridges.

Don't skimp on a heater. Its probably the most important money you spend on your tank. There are way too many stories of folks who lost hundreds of dollars worth of livestock because of a heater malfunction. Saving $20 now to lose $200 worth of fish is a bad deal.

I've been doing some reading on this and it seems like some people opt for a smaller heater vs. a big one in the event that a heater gets stuck on (which happened in my reef tank once). I notice many of the manufacturers recommend that their 100 watt heater is good for a 30 gallon tank. Would a quality 100 watt be sufficient for the 55?

Tangcollector

Staff member

Jon is dead on here. The heater can cost you huge loses quickly. I think the cobalt Neo Therm are the best on the market but you will pay for them.

Aqua410

Members
Thanks for finding that sale. I ordered 2 AC110's. The bills are piling up to get the tank running but I am really looking forward to getting the tank cycled. Now just to build a stand and wait for delivery. Unfortunately the tank was back ordered and won't ship for another few days.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Thanks for finding that sale. I ordered 2 AC110's. The bills are piling up to get the tank running but I am really looking forward to getting the tank cycled. Now just to build a stand and wait for delivery. Unfortunately the tank was back ordered and won't ship for another few days.

Most of the costs are initial. Upkeep isn't too bad. With the delay in shipment of the tank, maybe you'll get the stand built ahead of delivery and once the tank arrives, you can immediately get it set up.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App