• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Getting out of the hobby posts

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
What is with all of the getting out of the hobby posts.

My wife would kill me if I got out.

I have gotten out (sort of) 3 times over the last 38 years. Each time its if for a year or two.
Each time when I got back in it was BIGGER.

She says I can never get out because if I do she does not want to see what I have when I get back again. LOL

Vinh2o

Members
Getting out of the hobby means different things to different people. I went to Old Schools house when he was "getting out of the hobby". The 3 show tanks& fish he was "keeping" where mind blowing. So much for getting out of the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Leffler817

CCA Members
Yeah it seems as though there have been many such threads appearing lately. Whenever I see those titles, I think of vultures circling for some reason. I blame Matt. There was a similar rash of postings and sellers were complaining of the 'offers' being out out there being too low. For some weird reason its stuck in my memory. :confused:

But no, there's no way I would believe Pat would ever 'get out of the hobby'. Sorry, sir. lol

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Lol. The other times I got out, I never got out completely. Just went down to 1 or 2 tanks.

Becca

Members
I've done it once and quit cold turkey. My husband got me a little edge for my birthday many years later. He often points out that if he'd known it was a "gateway tank" he wouldn't have done it.

Aqua410

Members
Sometimes it's just not the right time in life. I didn't have tanks for years while I was renting and moving every year or so. Now that I own a house and spend more time at home I'm about to start getting a third tank together which will be a record high for me.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I got out the hobby when I went away to college and then when I was in the military. Really just had a tank or two until 2005 or so when I built a fishroom in our garage in California.

Even when I didn't have tanks, I kept in touch with the hobby - got TFH, FAMA and other mags and new books, went to a fish club meeting every now and again, checked out LFS (when they existed) and went to Aquariums.

For folks getting out, I encourage you to keep coming to club meetings and events. There's so much to learn and even without a fish room, it's great to see fish and hang out with buddies!

Matt

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Most of the time with these out of the hobby sales, people will keep a tank or two which will quickly turn into 10. I sold my fishroom to just have my 300 and now i have 6 tanks (one of which is on the floor, if that doesnt scream fish hobbiest i dont know what does!) and 2 small outdoor ponds. Just wait a couple years and i'll be opening a fish store!

ddavila06

Members
I was scrolling and saw your post and was like WTHDFHYTU" :p you totally got me..
I have downsized but luckily i havent had to get out, yet..

Hannibal

Members
I just recently toyed around with the idea of getting out myself after I had two tanks crash on me. It was actually a blessing in disguise, now I have new fish I have never kept and enjoy watching the new guys.

My work is currently in the process of downsizing their footprint in our current building so there are possibly going to be some extra shelving hanging around that will not be used. Now I am about 99% sure I will be selling off a few tanks in order to put up a rack or two. How quickly one can go from almost getting out to getting deeper in.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I've toyed around the idea and went down to 2 at one point. That was it. I'm holding at 3, but have significantly larger tanks. If I wasn't living with my in-laws, I'd have more.