• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Joining CCA

fish

Banned
I want to join and become more involved with CCA.
Everyone on here are really good nice people and i have already made a few good deals and love the forum.
Just a few questions:

1.)How much would
it be for a membership for me and my dad?

2.)what all do you do at "meets"?

3.) where are meets held?

4.)are there many non african cichlid people that go to meets? I love fish but am not really at all into africans... (I do not currently own any...) How many people keep more then just cichlids?

Thanks in advance guys!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

spazmattik

Members
i could go on and on about it but its best broke down already here ..
http://www.capitalcichlids.org/?pageid=joincca

there are also auctions at monthly meetings. the group may be partial to african cichlids but it feels like the ca/sa scene is growing. I personally keep only ca/sa.. as far as other fish there are plenty of people keeping and breeding live bearers, plecos, cory cats, ect..

mchambers

Former CCA member
The meetings are at Kennedy High in Wheaton/Silver Spring. See the home page for more details. The next meeting is this Saturday, at 2pm. Every meeting has one or more speakers, a raffle, and a mini-auction. There is also plenty of time for socializing and fish transactions outside the auction.

I'd guess that at least half the club keeps mostly fish other than African cichlids. For example, I keep mostly South American fish, some cichlids, but lots of other types, too. I don't keep any African lake cichlids, although I keep a few west African dwarf cichlids.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
There are many types of fish that are kept in the club. Although we are a cichlid club, I would guess you can find folks who keep just about everything from livebearers to bettas to catfish.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Aside from keeping CA/SA and West African cichlids, I keep tetras, barbs, mollies, swords, platies and catfish.
From speaking with other members, mostly at meets, many keep a wide variety of fish.

Becca

Members
It's $35 a year for a family membership. If you're under 18, just have your dad sign up for the family membership.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Just to be clear, you are welcome to come to the meetings without being a member. You could come to the meeting this Saturday or the one next month and see how you like them before you decide whether or not to join. Membership has its privileges, however!

Acpape0

Members
Also I just wanted to say this:

DO NOT feel pressured to join
Again
Do NOT feel pressured to join

I just noticed the timing of this post with another one that had a negative theme to it.

Join only if you truly want to. We all would like for you to join of course. The HOT discount alone will pay for the membership.

I am a very stubborn person and was put off by pressuring to join for awhile. In the end I decided I wanted to join but did so for my own reasons. I feel I have received my $'s in less than a month.

Just wanted to add that in there.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JasonC

Members
No one owns the club. It is a not-for-profit entity unto itself with a board of directors that takes care of the day to day business. The BoD is elected annually by the membership of the club, and therefore reflects the values of the membership and not the controlling interests of one person.