• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

First attempt at a planted tank

Aqua410

Members

On a side note this anubias I got from HOT is sweet. It was a customer donation from a tank that got taken down. Paid ten bucks! It was attached to a tiny piece of lava rock which I left on. I just sat the whole thing next to and kind of on top of that log. Is that sufficient for a healthy anubias?

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
The anubias will do fine as you have it. The tank looks nice. How will you prevent the two substrates from mixing?

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aqua410

Members
The anubias will do fine as you have it. The tank looks nice. How will you prevent the two substrates from mixing?

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

They probably will but I have plenty left of both. They are fully separated by wood and stone at the moment but fish will likely move them around. If the sand goes on the fluorite no big but I can always scoop the top layer of sand and freshen it from time to time.

Aqua410

Members
I forgot but I'm going to be stopping by hot again tomorrow so I will let you know. I wanted to write down everything I got to keep track of it but I forgot. I know I have chain sword, wisteria, Java moss, anubias nana, I think anubias barteri, and that tall round leaf plant.

Jt731

Members
If you aren't pushing co2 most of the smaller leaves on the wisteria will melt off and be replaced by broader leaves. I noticed some already.

Aqua410

Members
If you aren't pushing co2 most of the smaller leaves on the wisteria will melt off and be replaced by broader leaves. I noticed some already.

I'm going to stay low tech for now but if i'm not getting the kind of results I want i'm not opposed to building a co2 system. I just started out with flourish and excel are there any other ferts I should concern myself with?

Jt731

Members
See how your growth goes and then you can think about ferts. The new growth will tell you if you are missing something. The fluorite will provide nutrients as well.

Aqua410

Members
Is it normal that a few of them are developing some brown around the edges of the leaves at first? I read a few things that seem to indicate there may be some die off while the roots are taking hold and before any new growth can start.

Spine

Members
Keep your ferts balance to avoid algea. Adding as many plants as you can afford at the beginning helps also. Aquatic Plant Central has a fertilizer calculator that helps. Don't forget www.gwapa.org is our friend, also going to a meeting would be helpful,everyone is welcome.

Jt731

Members
Is it normal that a few of them are developing some brown around the edges of the leaves at first? I read a few things that seem to indicate there may be some die off while the roots are taking hold and before any new growth can start.

You can expect your plants to take some time to adjust to re rooting and the difference in water parameters between where they have been growing and your tank.

This is a good reference for looking and growth and knowing what your water is missing:

http://infographics.myaquacalc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/plant-deficiency-labeled2.jpg