• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Please help I'd my african

Can any one id this African..I bought him from a local fish store, he was a return so they didn't even know what he was

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1371064111388.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1371064135235.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1371064159584.jpg

I thought so to originally so I bought a female taiwan reef to try to breed them and they have small differences

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

daninmd

Members
well a female taiwan reef is just going to be mostly plain silver in color...do you have a picture?

Hannibal

Members

Here is a picture of my Reef male for reference. Since mine is the only male in a species only tank with three ladies to impress he is colored up more. Like it was mentioned above the females are silver with the black H barring.

I do not think it is a Koningsi as it appears the anal fin is red/orange like the Reef. Most of the pictures I have seen of the Koningsi the anal fin is blue.

neut

Members
Taiwan reef fish (one of the Protomelas sp. steveni). I've had many of these and it's most obvious in the second photo, first photo could easily be mistaken for a peacock imo. Note the white blaze in second photo. Typical of taiwan reef males (although the blaze can vary on different individuals, similar to mloto, fryeri, etc.) Aulonocara koningsi do not have this blaze, at least not that I've ever seen.

They actually come from more than location and between this, individual differences between specimens, changing mood, and varying tank raised breeding strains, they vary somewhat in appearance, including extent, intensity, and shade of the orange to maroon flank, coverage of the white blaze, prominence or lack of barring, etc.

Indeed, female taiwan reef fish look quite different from males and you'd be hard pressed to distinguish them from some of the other protomelas species.

Rasta Fish

Members
Taiwan Reef !
They are two collection points for these guys
also this one looks a little stress thats probably why he is not showing all his color