• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Rainbow cichlids eat snails?

Is it possible that rainbow cichlids eat snails? I keep finding empty ramshorn shells in my tank. I've always had snails in my planted tanks and never found so many empty shells. Now, I pick them out with some regularity and see only a few live ones. Anyone have this experience? Nothing else in the tank is a possible cause -- jsut tetras, cories and BN plecos...

cmcpart0422

Members
I dont think they live very long lives. Unless you are feeding the snails im sure they are susceptible to starvation. In my tanks that have them I find empty shells all the time. My guess is that your tank has reached the carrying limit for the snails so some die and some live to keep a nice balance. Just my guess though.

cmcpart0422

Members
Like I said just a guess. Im sure if the tank is healthy and all the parameters are normal its just part of the ecosystem.

The reason I found it odd is that I've had planted tanks for several years, with fairly vigorous (unwanted) snail populations. When I started this tank a year or more ago, I seem to remember having the normal population. Since getting my rainbow cichlids, however, I'm finding empty shells. I just don't remember ever seeing that before . . .

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Might be a learned behavior. I had some Jewel cichlids that learned to suck MTS snails out of their shells.

toddnbecka

Members
I regularly thin out the numbers of ramshorns in a couple tanks and toss the extras in for feeders. The oblongum are particularly effective at eating ramshorns, and I've also found the Aulonocara and the crowd of cutteri to be quite willing and able to empty out some shells as well.