• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Bristlenose fry, how do you do it?

Forester

Members
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to decide whether i should raise my longfin super red fry in a breeder box or in a tank how i normally do it.
I was just wondering how everybody else does it?

Look forward to your responses,

Lucas

verbal

CCA Members
One option would be to split the batch - 1/2 in the breeder box and 1/2 in the tank.

I seem to have better survival with the breeder box method.

Forester

Members
One option would be to split the batch - 1/2 in the breeder box and 1/2 in the tank.

I seem to have better survival with the breeder box method.

What do you feed the ones in the breeder box? Veggies? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
I move mine to a 10 gallon with 2 sponge filters.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chriscoli

Administrator
Mine do better by themselves in a tank with a sponge filter, plenty of vegetation and driftwood to graze on.

I feed them whatever's available.

FishEggs

I always leave my fry in the tank. I figure those that survive are the stronger more healthy and will keep the species stronger. Survival of the fittest, right? My tanks are of course fully planted and aquascaped and have plenty of nooks and crannies for fry to hide so they have a chance. Though i havent actively tried to breed fish. I just might put a male and female together and if they happen to spawn, kudos. So i really wouldn't give too much weight to my words. They're more of a passing thought maybe. I really don't know why i even bothered typing all this. In fact if it wasn't more time wasted to delete all this i probably would have.
Good Luck :)

Becca

Members
I always leave my fry in the tank. I figure those that survive are the stronger more healthy and will keep the species stronger. Survival of the fittest, right? My tanks are of course fully planted and aquascaped and have plenty of nooks and crannies for fry to hide so they have a chance. Though i havent actively tried to breed fish. I just might put a male and female together and if they happen to spawn, kudos. So i really wouldn't give too much weight to my words. They're more of a passing thought maybe. I really don't know why i even bothered typing all this. In fact if it wasn't more time wasted to delete all this i probably would have.
Good Luck :)

This works for brown/dark-colored BNPs a lot better than it does for bright/lightly colored ones (there's a reason albino animals don't make it very often in nature). In our 150, I find that brown fry survive pretty well, but the albino get picked off by larger fish (it's a community tank) within a couple of weeks. There are two reasons for this - albinos are easier to see (same would go for super reds), and albinos tend to have poorer vision/light sensitivity (probably not an issue for super reds). I think this actually makes the albinos better algae eaters because they are less able to find other foods. I don't know if that's actually true though.

Forester

Members
I went with a breeder box so we'll see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App