• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hello

Hello,
I am new and was drawn to this sight from a fellow hobbyist. Mr. Kelly (Patrick) as my name is James Kelley also has a STUNNING albino eureka red. He is out of this world!! Anyways, I breed a lot of cichlids and love keeping these guys. I am from Charleston, SC and only have been doing this for about 5 years before I converted from South Americans. I will never go back. When I first started in this hobby I didn't realize so many species existed.
If there are any questions about me or whatever, feel free to email me. Thanks for your time.
James Kelley

maddog10

Members
Welcome James, I am sure you find that we are a fun loving bunch of crazy cichlid nuts.
We all like to see pictures and hear about your success (and failures) with your fish.

ElectraDeep.jpg

Placidochromis electra Deep Water aka electra likoma.. Pretty stunning if I might say.
LemonJake.jpg

This is a picture of my Lemon Jake breeder. He exhibits some orange in the fins.. Pretty nice speciman.
RubyRedShow.jpg

This is a picture of Aulonocara sp. Maleri Rubescens "Ruby Red" breeder male. Another jaw dropper that looks better in person.
PhenoShow11.jpg

Placidocromis sp. phenochilus "Tanzanian-Lupingu"... For those who haven't seen a nice picture of a fully speckled male!!
AlbinoShowEurekaRed.jpg

Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi "Eureka Red" Albino... This is nothing to Mr. Kelly's but is another one of my favorites.
BIGALBINOSHOW-1.jpg

Protomelas steveni Taiwan Reef Albino Breeder male; pretty nice if Imight say!!
OrnatusSHOWMALE.jpg

Protomelas Ornatus aka Flavimanus from the pond, for some reason the pond does MAGICAL things for cichlids!!
BengaSunshine.jpg

Aulonocara Baenschii Benga Sunshine breeder... Pretty nice..
AlbinoFlavescent.jpg

Aulonocara Flavescent Ussisya ALBINO breeder male!!

Here are a few pics. Let me know what yall think!! I would like to see some of your stuff if you don't mind posting them!! As far as mistakes, in this hobby EVERYONE makes mistakes!! My biggest mistake is probably the old Prime/Amquel brain fart. I completely forgot to add the detoxifying additive and killed off many of tanks... Fortunately, now I just have the water sit in a 250g water storage tank so the water is treated and sitting for at least 7 days for a backup.. Thanks

cyradis4

Members
Welcome, and nice fish!

I don't keep too many Africans, and then mostly Mbuna and a few peockocks, perfering the South Americans....

Amanda.

DeeCee

Members
Hello and welcome James!
DANG - you made me drool a bit on the keyboard with those fish pictures! Very nice!
Thanks for sharing those and keep 'em coming! :sign0173:

It makes me think that I really need to start working with the camera more. If you've only been into cichlids for 5 years or so, sounds like you jumped into them in a big way! How many gallons do you run? It sounds like you have some ponds too (gotta love the So Carolina weather- ugh!)

DC

mscichlid

Founder
Welcome James! I'm glad you at least did try the SA's. It makes one accomplished in fish keeping!

Post often. We love to chit-chat and talk about ourselves and our fish.

Francine

SA fanatic...

Ill post more soon. I just got some other stuff and the look pretty darn good!! Yeah, I run a lot of water and I LOVE the ponds. PONDS are the best for these fish!! THEY JUST LOOK AMAZING after the summer!! I want to actually get back into South Americans with the Geophagus' and EB Jack Dempsey's. I was looking at acquiring some before I converted but never had the opportunity to get them. I basically took a 10ft dive into Cichlids as once I converted I just didn't stop BUYING!! My wife said I have an addiction, but, sometimes you just have to soothe that addiction before it gets out of hand!! Fortunately, I have a great wife that doesn't mind all the tanks and water and LOVES the fish!!
Thanks to everyone for the kind words!!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Welcome James.
Nice color on those fish.
You mentioned the Eureka color, but it looks good to me.
Its all in the light.

D

daniel4832

James,
Very nice fish even if they are from the "wrong" lake! Did I see some fish from the "right" lake peeking from the background of one of your pictures? :D
Welcome,
Daniel

Daniel,
Yes. The ones in the background come from Lake Tanganyika and they are Cyphotilapia Frontosa "Burundi" and a Neolamprologus Tretocephalus. The tretocephalus are pretty cool in the fact they are so small but so agressive. They have little man syndrome especially in a tank full of Lake malawi haps that are 10"+. They are another one of my favorites exhibiting yellow, blue, black, and white. There are some different species in the lake that show more yellow than others throughout the body. Same species but I believe they call them Yellow/Gold Trets. I can tell you that they don't put up with ANYTHING. Another one like this is Neolamprologus Lelupi!! These are another one of my favorites as they exhibit a real ORANGE pattern. I will try and get some pictures of my male and post them. They are all my favorites as I haven't meet an African Cichlid I don't like yet; physical characteristics not personality :).

LichnoShow12.jpg

ShowLichno.jpg

Lichnochromis Acuticeps "Malawi Gar". These are pretty uncommon and EXTREMELY NICE. The male here exhibits a nice teal green pattern with a red anal fin. They are a predator in the wild but in captivity they are pretty laid back!! I am currently working on a strain of these to illustrate more of the shocking color they exhibit. In my opinion, this is one of the underrated fish in Lake Malawi; whether it is b/c it is not well known or people just don't like them is the question I still ponder myself with.
LithobateShow.jpg

Otopharynx Lithobate "Zimbabwe Rocks" male. These come from an outstanding strain which develop the blaze at a VERY VERY early age. Once they mature the fins will lengthen and the colors will become much more vibrant showing the orange/yellow highlights in the dorsal/caudal fins.
StrigatusShow12.jpg

Dimidochromis Strigatus "Sunset" male. I put these in a class with the Lichnochromis' b/c they show SO MUCH color. Yellow, red, green, blue, brown, white, and definately become better with time. A lot of people don't know about this fish but once they become "popular" there will be many BEAUTIFUL strains of these. I would like to see the red behind the gill plate go more up the body much like an Aulonocara Ngara Flametail.
ShowFusco.jpg

Nimbochromis Fuscotainatus. These species are MY ALL time favorite as they have so much personality. They are extremely agressive but when mixed with the right tankmates they can really become docile. LOOK at his colors; red, brown, blue, white... Definately a nice fish to introduce to ANY show tank!! Definately will have space in my tanks for these!!
Champs3.jpg

Champsochromis Caerelus "Malawi Trout". These are a nice fish but require some patience from the hobbyist. Once maturation has been accomplished this fish is not short of a knock out. They exhibit, green, brown, blue, yellow, red, and much much more. Their fins are actually what I believe HAP enthusiasts are after as once they are about 3-4yrs old their fins will lengthen out much like a frontosa!! Granite, this takes some work, however, once accomplished is a great asset to any SHOW/Community tank as long as the fish occupying are at least 8" or so.
ShowBucco.jpg

Buccochromis Rhodesii "Yellow Lepturas". As illustrated in the picture their colors are VERY VERY vibrant. Look at the blue in his face!! These are a VERY VERY agressive species but if mixed with the right tankmates he can co-habitat with other cichlids. Also, with the fins they fins lengthen out and end up like the Champs almost!!
TyrannochromisNigriventor1.jpg

Tyrannochromis Nigriventor "Orange Spot". These exhibit colors like the Nimbochromis Fusco but in regards to physical characteristics they look different. They are also a predator in the wild but I see that they are very docile in captivity as long as there isn't any 3" fish in the tank (he ate a lelupi that was 4" in one swoosh). These are pretty rare as they are usually a seasonal find within the hobby.. You might get lucky and find some hobbyists that have them but 9 times out of 10 they haven't even heard of them.
RostratusShow.jpg

Fossochromis Rostratus. As seen in the picture he is definately a beautiful speciman but requires time to get to fully mature. When they mature the blues, greens, browns, and blacks start developing on the top of the body and transect through the body. They are pretty cool personality wise as you can see them "SAND DIVING" throughout the tank trying to pick up any nutrients that might be at the bottom of the tank. Also, if you try to catch them they will BURY themselves in the sand and DISAPPEAR!! This is truly a unique trait only available with this species!! The pheno's will do this also, but ONLY in ponds!!
YellowChinShOW.jpg

Protomelas steveni "Yellow Chin". These are an extremely cool fish very much turning out to look like a "panfish" because of their physical characteristics. They also show ALL kinds of colors and if the strain is of good quality the fish will exhibit a vibrant yellow underbody with a BROWN anal fin!!
F0Lupingu-1.jpg

Copadichromis Mloto Ivoryhead "Lupingu". These are definatley a cool type of fish showing their BLUE irradescent color on their bodies off. They also have a white strip intermingled with the blue all the way down the top side of their body. Once acclimated properly to the tank and there is little to no agression this fish will turn JET BLACK!! My wife refers to these as "Tar BABY" because of this characteristic.
Euchilus.jpg

Chilotilapia Euchilus "Thick Lips". This fish is absolutely gorgeous and a must see in person. The colors don't show up in pictures as they exhibit a nice blue tint throughout their body with reds, greens, blues on their fins. On the domesticated fish the lips are pretty small but if you can get ahold of a F0 speciman the lips are HUGE much like a Melanochromis labrosus. I believe they are much bigger than that type of Mbuna.
LVWhiteOB-1.jpg

Aulonocara OB Peacock. Yet a hybrid (man made type derived from interbreeding 2 different genus of fish) these fish exhibit all kinds of colors. My strain is known for the Red, BLUES, and LONG VENTRALS as seen in the picture!! If you can find some Albino's of these I would definately get some because the splits show so much color and are much more intense (albino characteristics).
BleekeriMaralambo.jpg

Paratilapia bleekeri "Maralambo". These fish come from the coast of Africa from Lake Madagascar. You can see within the picture that they are also a BLACK fish with irradescent blue/green hues on the spots of this fish!! A definate must have to any show tank!!
Lwanda1.jpg

Aulonocara Red Top lwanda. These are another cool peacock exhibiting blue and yellow colors throughout their body. If properly raised their fins also become pretty long in relative to the body length!!

Hope the pictures and the captions are good!! Thanks again.

marge618

CCA member
Hello James! Welcome to CCA!! Your pictures are splendid. I particularly like the commentary. The more great pictures I see the more fish I want...... Better to make new fish friends... and enjoy the pictures of their fish. Hope to see you at Nov CCA meeting (today).
Marge

DeeCee

Members
Those are awesome shots of fish, but I'm sorry - I nearly fell outta my chair about the "little man syndrome" comment! :happy0007:

Beautiful Fish!!

DC

CORRECTION!! I meant to say Lamprologus Lelupi besides the Neolamprologus.. here is a pic of my Lelupi... he is goregous as his orange is like the peel of an orange. VERY VERY nice but like the Tretocephalus he has little man syndrome also!! Enjoy!!
Lelupi1.jpg

Lelupi.jpg

marge618

CCA member
CORRECTION!! I meant to say Lamprologus Lelupi besides the Neolamprologus.. here is a pic of my Lelupi... he is goregous as his orange is like the peel of an orange. VERY VERY nice but like the Tretocephalus he has little man syndrome also!! Enjoy!!
Lelupi1.jpg

Lelupi.jpg
[/b]

WONDERFUL: pictures are great. The orange is outstanding!!!
Marge

Charlutz

Members
Nice pics James. I've always wanted to try a pond for the summer. Not sure qhat it would require to keep the temps stable or how many months you could do it.

D

daniel4832

James,
If you are ever interested in getting more Tangs, I have 70 tanks of them in which I raise and breed them. There is also Sarah who also has an incredible collection of Tangs. I have been keeping cichlids for over 40 years and Tangs for over 30.
You have some incredible and rarely kept Malawies, very impressive pictures. I'm looking forward to seeing more!
Thanks,
Daniel

Charlie,
The ponds for Tangs are probably not a good idea unless it is in a controlled environment. I tried tangs and haven't had good luck with them in ponds b/c the temperature gets relatively high (upper 80's to mid 90's). I am currently getting my concrete vats built in my "seperate garage" my fishroom and since that is a controlled environment I will try them again. The concrete vats act just like a pond. I visited a Florida Fish Farm this past summer and I got a lot of new ideas. I definately recommend someone visiting a fish farm as they are AWESOME!!
Daniel,
I am interested in any fish... Just snap some pics and let me know price and we can go from there. I am looking for some Frontosa's and tropheus. Thanks for all the kinds words!!

D

daniel4832

James,
I can't take pictures to save my life :rolleyes:
If you go way back in the picture section there are a number of pictures taken by Bobby of some of my fish.
What Tropheus are you looking for? PM me.
Thanks,
Daniel