• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Oh man ...A new non fish pet

YSS

Members
My wife's coworker is a bird keeper and her coworker got a canary for my wife. My wife is very excited but I will most likely be the one who will have to take care of the bird in the end. Anyone here keeping birds? Are they more work than keeping fish? I definitely don't want to join a bird club or discussion boards on birds ... :)

I kept several song birds, mostly finches, when I was a kid. You have to clean out the crap every few days by sliding out and replacing the paper mat. Refill the water bottle and food every few days. Canary likes to eat green leafy vegetable, so clip one for a treat from time to time. Bird likes to be clean so you have to give it a spray water bath every few weeks. So the maintenance is simpler and easier than keeping fish.

Canary makes soothing song, but can be bothering and wake people up if it sings at the wrong time. If you keep a lonely canary, over time it will stop singing because it needs competition to continue to sing. A solution is to keep two so they can compete, or play recorded song to excite the bird.

I don't keep bird, dog or cat anymore, only fish because I can go away for a month without asking anyone to take care of my fish, but not bird, dog and cat.

ddavila06

Members
Canaries are awesome! I have kept many, in Argentina and here in the states. Canaries sing beautiful. change the paper tray every other day or so and was the base with bleach water about once a week or every two weeks if you can. you will have to learn to trim its nails because they will get extremely long if you don't and bother it. fresh dark leafy greens, hard boiled egg, carrot crumbs, and canary food w vitamins. get her to read a book or two, post a few pics :)

FishEggs

My father kept and bred american singer canaries for a while. Not hard to take care of at all.

Forester

Members
My former drum teacher has between 15 and 25 birds of some type at one time or another. He trained his to dance to the music and say hello when some enters. Maybe you could get it to get the fish food for you :D

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App