• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Summer fish tubs

Forester

Members
Hey everyone i am planning on setting up a bunch of these and would appreciate any advice i can get. Also if anyone wants to describe their setups and or ask questions that is fine. Thanks in advance.

Lucas

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

verbal

CCA Members
Stock them with something in them that will prevent them from becoming mosquito breeding grounds. Or if you can aerate them, that should work too.

Forester

Members
Ok i will do that. Thanks Jesse. Are you doing this too?

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
What kind of tub are you using? I am using a large, plastic pot from Lowes. I have a small pond pump and fountain towards the center. I am trying to grow some cuttings from my planted tank in this tub. I filled a pond planter with flourite and added the cuttings. I also rubber banded some anubias to a piece of wood and have that towards the surface. I added an aquarium heater, but will unplug it for the summer. The heater allows me to run the tub until later October.

Forester

Members
They have so nice heavy duty ones at home depot. They are more like boxes but hold 27g and are only $10 each i will do a small group of each species in each of them. I will probably have 5 or 6 maybe more.

Forester

Members
I decided that i will get stock tanks from a farm supply place. The 100g ones are like $70 but they have up to i think 300g ones.

verbal

CCA Members
I think 100 gallon is the best bang for the buck in terms of the stock tanks. I have one I will probably set-up in my garage.

Also looks like I will do something smaller on my balcony with a water lily.

mrkillie

Members
I think 100 gallon is the best bang for the buck in terms of the stock tanks. I have one I will probably set-up in my garage.

Also looks like I will do something smaller on my balcony with a water lily.

100 gal are definitely the best buy. Tractor Supply Co. usually puts them on sale for like $10 off the regular price. It ends up being about $5 more than the 50 gal tanks.

Forester

Members
It wasnt telling me the prices so i dont know which place is cheaper. At Southern States they have a 335g for $170.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
If I thought my balcony could support the 100g tub, I would have gone that route myself.
Looking forward to pics of whatever you end up with.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Forester

Members
I am thinking of getting the 335g but the store is in Midland, VA. So it is too far. If you guys know anyone who lives near th were please tell because they could get it and bring it to the meeting. Thanks. And how many groups of corys and tetras could i put in something that big and still have enough space for them to breed. Thanks again

Becca

Members
I got a plastic half-barrel from Home Depot (not sure how many gallons) and found a Jack Daniels half-barrel (real thing, reeks of whiskey) at Lowe's. The one from HD is bigger than the similar ones at Lowe's and fits just inside the whiskey barrel with maybe 1" of space around the outside edge. The wood barrel is about 3 inches taller than the plastic one, too, so it's a little extra protection against jumping.

I just got done sealing the wood barrel with urethane yesterday. I have to drill a few small holes near the bottom for drainage (in case it rains). I plan to fill the extra space with pea gravel and a layer of potting soil so I can plant some ornamental grasses in there - something tall and thick for further insurance against jumpers.

When it's done I'm putting the Betta patoti that I got from Sam in there.

I wanted to do a 100 gallon stock tank but the hubs wasn't having it - something about a yard full of stock tanks looking "white trash" LOL. Instead we're hipsters with a pond with less water for more money made out of a "reclaimed" whiskey barrel.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Be careful of mixing similar cories as there is the possibility of hybridization. Not as common as with cichlids, but certainly possible.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Home Depot has a great price on a Beckett 35g patio pond. It stands 15 inches high and has three shelves in it. I am thinking of getting one in the near future.

TMSB805

Members
i had a rubbermaid tub set up last summer. I even built a diy filter which worked pretty good. i'm trying to get rid of the tub now. wish i could set it up again.

IMG-20120815-00023.jpg

IMG-20120815-00023.jpg

todda

Members
last summer the raccoons or possoms ate all my Malawi fish that were growing out In a 300 gallon Rubbermaid pond/tub?