• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Injuried fish

Thought I reach out to see what homemade remedies and/or medicines everyone use for the following fish injuries: missing tails and missing gill covers. Please include how much of the Meds you used and how long.

I have two fish that I am treating now, each has one of the above injuries. So far I'm using Aquarium salt and Stress Coat. I'm still researching but thought I would get some insight from members as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kevin911

Members
I use melafix and salt. I'm curious as well, so let's see if there are alternative methods.

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Melafix and salt are also what I typically use. If possible, separate the fish into a separate tank.

I've had good luck getting fish to grow back their tail, but I've never seen a fish with a missing gill plate.

chriscoli

Administrator
I like melafix and pimafix, salt is an awesome addition, too. For more stubborn infections I also use methylene blue dips with added salt.

I've never seen severe gill plate damage grow back. If it ends up eroded through, the fish will be like that forever. I've had them recover and be fine afterward.....just a little disfigured. I'm sure it makes them more susceptible to future gill damage, though.

Are you just seeing damage, or is there evidence of ongoing infection? (Redness, white fluffy stuff?)

Thanks everyone for the input so far. Jon I have the fish separated right now. Chris I do not see redness or any white puffy stuff around the wound, I did not know the fish was injuries until I added him to my community tank, once I saw the would I immediately removed him and placed him in salt and stress coat. I'm going to pickup some prim and meta fix today after work.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Update

Ok I have really been staying on top of these two, not only are they not fighting each other anymore but putting them in my misfit tank they seem to pair up. I am also happy to report that the injuries are healing better then expected. The male's gill plate seems to be growing back or closing :eek:. The females tail fin is growing in well, she has finally grew the top of of dorsal fin (which now shows her orange color :D).

Pic order:

Pic 1: Female before
Pic 2: Female currently
Pic 3: Male before
Pic 4: Male currently (Sorry for bad pic but you can still see gill plate hole getting smaller)

I am currently working on during my first reseal on a 56 gallon that Adam gave away a couple months ago this will be the new home to the GT's and a few tank mates. Thanks again for the help.

Female1.JPG

Female2.jpg

Male1.jpg

Male2.jpg

Last edited: