• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

spitting out all food

thedavidzoo

Members
One of my females seems to be not eating anymore. At first I thought she might be holding, but that isn't the case. She will go after food but will then immediately spit it back out. SHe also make "coughing" motions (gills flared, mouth opening/closing) where she looks like she is trying to get rid of something in her throat. Has been going on for quite a while.
Any ideas?

Rasta Fish

Members
How long do you notice this?
what size tank?
how many fishes in it, everyone else eating?
I would treat with parasite guard before its gets too bad

Becca

Members
I had one of Sams B. cupidos start doing this after the move. It lost weight, put on stress colors, and started hiding behind the filter intake and going after anyone who came near. I pulled it this week and put it in a quarantine. It will only take live foods right now, but it is getting better and putting on weight. It's a good thing I have a decent supply of red wigglers and blue pearl shrimp. I hate using the latter as feeders, but they are prolific, to say the least. It will go after pellets, but spit them out. I haven't noticed "coughing" behavior, aside from the rejection of food.

I have dosed with prazi-pro in the past, so I didn't think internal parasites were causing this issue.

thedavidzoo

Members
No new foods. Mostly NLS. I haven't introduced any new fish in a long time. Everyone else in the tank is fine. Don't think it would be a parasite...

I'll observe her a little more closely. Maybe give her some frozen foods I haven't fed in a long time. See if she eats that.

thedavidzoo

Members
Well, they all had a 3 day break from eating over Thanksgiving. She used to be a real fatty but is now noticeably skinnier.

chriscoli

Administrator
I've seen this in fish, occasionally, too. I'm still not certain what causes it...I've tried several different kinds of treatments (Prazi seemed to have a small effect if the fish wasn't too severe). At one point, I even had someone suggest that it may be viral.

I never figured it out. Fish seemed to either recover or not.

thedavidzoo

Members
Could something be blocking her throat? She tries to eat, but then coughs up the food and continues "coughing".

thedavidzoo

Members
No one is missing, and no catfish in the tank.
Did a search online and others have had the same problem, but no real answers except the occasional stuck sandgrain or growth in throat, or beginnings of bloat, which doesn't seem to be the case.

thedavidzoo

Members
Finally decided to take a look down her throat. It appears she has some "growths". There is one that almost looks like a tongue up front and then some other piece further back kinda off to one side. Both are whitish.
I suppose these things are keeping her from swallowing properly. Any ideas on what to do besides watch her waste away?

zackcrack00

Members
It may sound stupid, but you can call up a vet or ichthyologist or a marine biologist.. A few vets in y area will give you advice on fish sicknesses.