• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hole In Head disease

rsretep

Members
Wondering about what the club at large uses for treatment of HIH...seems my lyonsii have it and I have never had to treat it before...all suggestions are appreciated

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Fortunately I have not experienced fish with hole in the head disease, probably luck or I do not keep the kind of fish that get it. I would refer you to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_and_lateral_line_erosion which suggests that the problem is probably stress but could be other causes and no known cure. So you might try to reduce the stress by making it so the fish can be seen only from the front of the aquarium and if possible reduce the number of fish in the aquarium, but who wants to do that. The other way to combat stress and disease is to maintain high quality water.
So, I would recommend the basics: change at least 50% of the water, any % higher is better, but whatever you feel comfortable with. And then add Melafix at the recommended dose and does for two days. Melafix seems to have a positive affect on freshwater fish, split fins will often be repaired overnight. Also I would add a teaspoon of salt per gallon, repeat the teaspoon per gallon the next day. Salt also seems to have a positive affect on fish possibly by helping promote their slime coat. After 7 days another water change should be done, and I would recommend at least a 60% water change, higher if you want. Anything less than a 50% water change allows accumulation of pollutants in the aquarium.

YSS

Members
Another line of thoughts is the HITH is caused by Hex which is treated by metro.