• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What brand of Sponge Filter do you use?

Vinh2o

Members
Just curious what brand of sponge filters people use. I see Aqua Top Classics, Hydro Sponge III, and Lee's Filters. I notice some brands make it easy to purchase replacement Sponges. Also what pumps are you using with them?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BroJul

Members
I made mine from 1 inch pvc pipe and drilled holes. Kens sells replacement sponge filters cheap. I'm a DIY guy. Not sure who sells the best on the market.

Tangcollector

Staff member
For the weighted ones that sit on the bottom:
I use the ATI sponge filters. You can get them from Your fish stuff as they are a club sponsor.
or I use the ATI sponge pro filters. You can get them from Jehmco. They are a more coarse filter.

Aquapharm (also a club sponsor) sells a nice one that sticks to the wall. The thing I like about these is that it is real easy to slide the sponges off and rinse them out ( in tank water) and put them back in and there are no air stones required.

I have both of them.

I only use the whisper deep water air pumps. They are quiet and really pump some air.
they are a little pricey but you can get them from pet mountain on sale frequently. Just sign up for their email list. I run four sponge filters from the larger air pump and it works great.
Good Luck

Leffler817

CCA Members
I tried a bunch of sponge filters and the best ones are the one made by Swiss Tropicals. They keep my tanks much cleaner than the others and are easier to clean.

I run a couple whisper pumps and an Alita. It's the bomb!

chriscoli

Administrator
I've got mostly Swiss Tropicals sponge filters, but I do also have some of the ATI sponge filters and have just tried the one being sold by AquaPharm.

kevin911

Members
Any pics on the Swiss tropical sponge filter ? How many gallon do they rate for ?

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kevin911

Members
Oh wow. I need to look into this. I current use a full size sponge sheet for a background power by 4 (2") airstone spaced out at the bottom.

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I like the ATI pro's and the Swiss tropical 4" cubes. I still have several of the cubes from the ACA convention we hosted in 2011. The foam still looks pretty new (except in the tanks were big fish like to eat sponge filters).

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Brent,

If you already have ATI sponge filters, you can purchase Poret "cartridges" from Swiss Tropicals and use those as the replacement sponge. That way, you don't have to purchase another base. The cartridges come with predrilled holes of various diameters.

Blaise

chriscoli

Administrator
Brent,

If you already have ATI sponge filters, you can purchase Poret "cartridges" from Swiss Tropicals and use those as the replacement sponge. That way, you don't have to purchase another base. The cartridges come with predrilled holes of various diameters.

Blaise

Good point, I've even used those as prefilters on filter intakes before. Although it will eventually clog, Poret is less likely to collapse if you go too long between prefilter cleanings.