• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

what brand do you prefer?

which brand(s) do you prefer

• aqueon

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • hikari

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • kens fish food

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • new life spectrum

Votes: 29 50.0%
  • omega one

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • ultracolor

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • nutrafin

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • homemade

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • tetra

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • wardley

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • yourfishstuff foods

Votes: 13 22.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
with the many brands out there im curious to see what everyone uses and prefer. alot of brands are good with some being better then others. with so many different fishkeepers with wide varieties of fish there should be some interesting discussion and information about foods that we are feeding our fish.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I like Hikari. Quality and the pellet sizes. Pellet size is the reason I chose Hikari over NLS and still have about $50 of a $60 order of NLS left after the group buy a while ago.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
i prefer to feed a medley of some foods as it offers variety, size, options for the slow or picky eater. homemade foods let me load up vitamins and color enhancing ingredients to help keep them healthy and pretty.

Leffler817

CCA Members
I like NLS and Hakari frozen foods the best. I tried the repashy stuff and it's very good too. Did anyone who got fish from Florida Tropical Fish Direct try the free sample that came with their fish yet? I haven't used mine yet, but any Thoughts on that...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rasta Fish

Members
Tetra Sticks, NLS, I like the results Y.F.S flakes but i wish they could make more of the flakes food available in pellets form

chriscoli

Administrator
I picked 3: NLS, Kens and YFS...

Me too. Plus my cories and loaches really liked the Aqueon shrimp pellets I got at last year's ACA meeting.

I'm also digging Repashy and i'm trying my hand at live food, too. I had a fun time after this last meeting feeding them some of Frank's daphnia.

ezrk

Members
We use a mix of flake and NLS for our tanks. We like the mix as it seems to help all the fish get the food. Especially important for things like the catfish with the tropheus - little bits of flake make it to the bottom for them. We are going to try Repashy on our next batch of fry.

Malawimania

Members
What about Xtreme? I've used both Xtreme and NL can't really pick one over the other, just thought a lot of people use the Xtreme. I'm using extreme right now but it's only been three months.

WendyFish

Members
My discussion question is, why do you like what you like?

I have greedy fish who love all the food they've ever tasted. Can you really tell what your fish "like?". Only for more finicky species?

Do you look at what the food has, what it doesn't or both?

To what extent are cost and availability issues?

Just curious how others look at this.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
For me, I look at the first few ingredients. If they are fish and or spirulina/kelp, I am willing to spend a bit more. One benefit of buying lesser known brands (those known to us but not commonly available in stores), is that cost is usually reasonable.

Sent from my DROIDX

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
My discussion question is, why do you like what you like?

I have greedy fish who love all the food they've ever tasted. Can you really tell what your fish "like?". Only for more finicky species?

Do you look at what the food has, what it doesn't or both?

To what extent are cost and availability issues?

Just curious how others look at this.

I look for what I know are real foods(natural), vitamins, crude protein, and then I weigh in economics. Ingredients are important to my maintaining healthy fish.I've found that its not economical to buy small bags or jars but to buy in bulk @ 5lb buckets or 1lb resealable packs. The benefits I look for are growth, coloring, and medicinal while paying a reasonable cost for this.
Fish can be greedy or picky or both depending on the mood and likes of that particular fish. Watching and learning your fish's habits you begin to know what they like and what stimulates them. A lot of times I do this and still catch something clearly by accident. Which brings me to the best part of fishkeeping. We are always learning how to best maintain our fish.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Manga!Manga!

Have only used Ken's flake (several varieties) and golden pearls, Hikari First Bites and Aqueon pellets but would recommend (and buy) all again. I brought home so many Aqueon pellets from ACA that I've still got a year's supply even though everyone likes the mini to large pellets. They have a nice density in that they sink slowly enough that the fish find them inviting but quickly enough that I can control where they end up in the tank even with strong water movement. Those and Ken's flakes are the mainstays of my tanks and I surely can't complain about growth or health of the inhabitants.