• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Noisy FX5

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I picked up a previously owned FX5 a few weeks ago and just got it set up this weekend. The previous owner warned me that it was a bit noisy, so I cleaned the motor and impeller prior to getting it set up. It has been running now for about 24 hours and it is a bit on the noisy side despite my cleaning.

Anyone have any experience with a noisy FX5 and the solution to the problem? I have looked and can pick up a new impeller for about $45 or a new motor and impeller for $95. My dilemma is whether to get just the impeller or the whole assembly. I'd like to be able to fix the problem with the minimal outlay of cash, but at the same time don't want to have to buy two impellers when I only need one.

toddnbecka

Members
Have you inspected the impeller shaft? I find that's usually the problem when an aquaclear hob gets noisy; the impeller looks fine inside and out but the shaft is worn down, and it runs off-center.
If the impeller shaft is intact make sure the impeller itself isn't worn on the inside. The inside diameter of the impeller should be just large enough to fit over the shaft.