• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Are all tanks made equal?

Jefft

Members
Are all tanks made equal? Found a huge lot of tanks going cheap. But I am noticing screen lids and no center braces. Are "fish tanks" built more sturdy than "reptile aquariums"? Or is a tank is a tank and all created equally?

picture.php

If you guys tell me these tanks might be good for fish, anyone interested in taking a ride with me to see them?

Last edited:

Jefft

Members
What are these

Usually the reptile cages are thinner glass and aren't made to be filled with water.

Are these all reptile cages? Do you see any of the larger units which might be fish tank? Is it worth my drive from what you see?

verbal

CCA Members
Are these all reptile cages? Do you see any of the larger units which might be fish tank? Is it worth my drive from what you see?

Check the glass thickness, but those look like fish tanks to me. The reason there aren't center braces is the tanks are not tall ones. I could be wrong, but the biggest ones where the top frame is visible appears to be a 40 breeder.

The height generally determines whether a center brace is needed. A 37(a tall tank) will have a brace, but a 30 breeder(12 or 13" tall) will not.

aFISHo

Members
I wouldn't worry too much about a missing center brace (unless you can see that it was broken off.)

USE USED TANKS AT YOUR OWN PERIL.

I won't ever, EVER, install a used tank. I do, occasionally use them for systems/quarantine/brood tanks, only. They're great for frogs/reptiles.

The actual tanks is one of the only places I won't look for a cheaper way out. always ends up costing me.

aFISHo

Members
If those are 20 longs, they make for great brood tanks. If you see a 40 or 60 breeder, make sure you grab that.

Jefft

Members
ok so yall are saying you dont see anything there that is 75 or bigger? what about that one with the black trim no center brace and looks like it has been painted? the tall grey one on the foreground? and look at the long tall one with the screen on it?? what sizes do you think those are? I am only interested in hooking a deal on one 40g. a 75g and a 125g or better. I dont have room for much else in my apartment.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
The wide black trimmed tank could be a 75 but the trim doesn't look right. It looks more like a critter cage than aquarium imo. The grey trim is an old oceanic. Since it's not a full shot, can't tell if it has a screen built into the side for reptiles. Looks like a pet shop went out of business.

Sent from my DROIDX

Jefft

Members
yeah all tanks were used for reptiles the man just emailed me back. Blah.. this is why I bring my questions to you guys so I dont go and get myself pickled.

Andrew

Members
The gray trim tank in the lower left is an Oceanic, best glass tank made for a while and probably worth the trip by itself. The 20L tanks and smaller won't have any problem unless they're cracked or the seal is visibly damaged.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Caveat emptor

Larger critter tanks are typically made with thinner glass as I recently found when comparing a standard 40B with one with a slotted lid for a screen top. Could be 10s/20s are all the same in terms of glass thickness and that unless/until you get north of 20 gallons they're basically the same in terms of glass thickness but one should not expect good results from filling anything larger that uses thinner glass. Recommend that you measure the glass thickness on the tanks you have and use that for comparison.

None of the tanks in the picture except for what seems to be an overturned 55 need center-bracing as they're too small, but you do not want a 55 with a broken center brace unless you plan on replacing the whole top molding or using it half-filled for a grow-out tank/palidarium.

As for used tanks we've already gone down this road. I have 40 tanks including a 100, 75, 2 55s and 2 40Bs, all used, all trouble-free for 3+ years. I resealed the 100 but then I knew it leaked when I bought it.

With brand spanking-new dedicated aquariums up to 55 gallons selling for a $1/gallon, I do agree there's lot to be said for saving money elsewhere, but then a deal is just that.

Luck.

If they were all used for reptiles I would pass on them. Heat lamps dry silicone out and cause it to peel away from the glass. If they have been used for an extended period of time they are probably all shot for holding water and would have to be resealed.

The Oceanic Granite is a nice tank and looks to be a 75 but I can't see the whole tank so I can't see how long it is. But that color was discontinued in 2005 so the tank is really old.

Andy

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
If the glass is in good shape and the price is right i would check it out. Even if the they were used for reptiles caulk is cheap. Reseals are easy.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app