• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Edsal shelving

Hannibal

Members
I know a few of you have them. How are you using yours?

We are downsizing our footprint in the building at work so we do not have room for everything that we currently have. I brought home 2 of the 48x24x60 3 shelf units and plan on using them for fish tank racks. Before I go through with setting them up I wanted to see if anyone did anything to modify theirs.

The only thing I was thinking about was waterproofing the particle board shelves somehow to protect from any potential water damage in the future.

As far as tanks go. I was thinking a row of 10's on the top, a row of 15's or 20's on the middle (10's, 15's, & 20's would be turned so the side is facing forward) and a 40 breeder or the like on the bottom for each rack. I plan on picking up LED lighting and an airpump as I want to switch to HMF instead of power filters or canisters.

I look forward to hearing your recommendations. Once I have a plan nailed down I will start selling off some fish, tanks, and filters to make room for the racks.

JLW

CCA Members
I use a lot of them. You're right, though, the particle board has to go. I replace it with white laminate board -- it's a bit expensive at first, but worth it. I usually hunt and peck and find imperfect pieces and get a deal (who cares, y'know, its going underneath the tanks. :)

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have the 36" by 18" unit and they fit perfectly for 40 breeders. The only modification that I made was to install a cross brace along the back side of the rack, but I'm not even sure that it is necessary. There is a picture of the cross brace in the build thread I did for the rack years ago.

No issues from my end. The stands work well and I haven't had any issues.

I don't know about the unit that you have, but my tanks essentially sit on the metal pieces of the stand and support the perimeter of the tank. If the tanks you are going to put on the rack don't sit directly over the supports, it's really the shelf material that is supporting the full weight of the tanks. I'd certainly want more than just particleboard for that.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I have the 48x24x60 rack, I use it for 9 20Hs and 3 5.5gs. I support the 5.5s with a few pieces of plywood since its not the full width of the rack, but the 20Hs fit perfectly.

Hannibal

Members
I have the 48x24x60 rack, I use it for 9 20Hs and 3 5.5gs. I support the 5.5s with a few pieces of plywood since its not the full width of the rack, but the 20Hs fit perfectly.

Good to know! Maybe I will just switch to 20's and not even mess with the 10's.

chriscoli

Administrator
I have two sets of them and love them. I've ditched as much of the wood underneath as I can. I've had it mold and get funky.