• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Smoking Heater!

mchambers

Former CCA member
Literally. Early this morning, I was in my fishroom (really a corner of our basement) when I heard a funny gurgling sound and then saw smoke coming out of my 55.

I quickly unplugged the heater , waited a few minutes, then removed it. Didn't see any visible signs of damage, so put it in a bucket full of water. After a half hour or so, I turned it on, after a few minutes bubbles came out of the heater, and it started smoking again.

It's a 200W Cobalt Neo-Therm. I've emailed Cobalt. Will let you know what I hear.

ddavila06

Members
OMG!!!!!

my no heater-rule works quite well...which reminds me, the one heater i use int he tank next to a door needs to be unplugged since its nice now :p

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Good thing you noticed it before anything catastrophic happened!
Are all of your fish in that tank ok?

mchambers

Former CCA member
The fish are fine. I did a big water change, just for an added level of security, but I don't think it was necessary.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yes, I've seen that thread. My case seems quite similar to the handful of instances described there.

It's funny, because I really like the look and feel of that heater, and if you had asked me I would have said I had more confidence in its reliability than most of the heaters I own. Shows what I know.

Harleyrider5

Members
Ive had that happen with two heaters now I unplugged and ditched them. I didnt want to take the chance. Went and bought new ones

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lkelly

Members
When you bought the heater, did it have this warning on the box?

surgeon-general-warning.gif

mchambers

Former CCA member
I've exchanged emails with Cobalt, including sending Cobalt a link to a video of the heater hissing and smoking.

Cobalt says it is out of 200W heaters and has offered to send me 2 100W heaters, which seems very generous. I've told Cobalt that's fine.

Nice, cobalt folks seem like good people. Did they have any explanation for what might have happened? Bad seal or something?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App