• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Outside Canister filters. Which ones to use?

Hello all.

I'm new to the forum, and just getting back into the hobby of aquariums.

I started out with air pumps and corner filters with filter floss, then worked my way up to hang-over-the-tank filters/pumps.

Due to space constraints, I want to start up my 55-gallon tank, but with an outside/canister filter/pump.

I think that the initial inspiration for that was an unscheduled trip to Dr. Foster and Smith website, and looking at the Fluval G-series canister filters. I was googly-eyed at the electronic display, and felt like the price to play for that must be worth it because its a Fluval. But then I went on Amazon and looked at reviews, and saw that there may be more issues than I am prepared to deal with, especially since I am just re-starting.

So which Outside filters are recommended for use for a 55-gallon tank? What are your experiences with them?

Any feedback would be appreciated. And thank you in advance.

John

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Eheim makes good products, but some of the smaller canisters are hard to clean. I've never used the Fluval or XP canisters, but heard good things about them as well.

If space is really the issue, I'd look into a mattenfilter. I run one on my 55 and it works great. Everything is air driven, so space outside the tank is only what you need to get air (mine is on a central system, so I just have air line running from the loop in my fish room).

mchambers

Former CCA member
I think a mattenfilter would be good. If you're going with a canister, I'd go with an Eheim 2217. I like the Cobalt EXT even more, because it's so flexible in terms of setup and cleaning, but it's only rated up to 55 gallons, so you run the risk that you think it's not enough filtration for your tank.

I haven't used a Fluval or Rena, so can't comment on them, but I have a bunch of Eheims and Cobalts and am very happy with them.

Aqua410

Members
If you're on a budget I have had good luck with my SunSun 304b. I run it on a 30 gallon and would opt for two on a 55. At $50 a piece you probably still come out ahead. It is very quiet and has plenty of space for media. The only part they cheap out on is the return plumbing but it doesn't leak it just feels kind of cheap.

Jt731

Members
I have 4 of the hydor professional running and like them. They come with the spray bar option in the package. I also have a fluval 206 on a tank. I like the hydors more. The inlet and outlet isn't a single piece so they can be rotated and the hydors have always been easier to prime. The tubing they send is short though, but both my 55s have the 350 model.

JLW

CCA Members
Yea, the Fluval G series are ... junk. They use proprietary cartridges that are really expensive, they don't work well.... just not a good scene. :)

For a 55-Gallon, if you're not heavily stocked, I'd definitely do a Cobalt ext canister. No priming or any of that stuff, super quiet, very easy to clean, and affordable.

chriscoli

Administrator
Love my Cobalt EXT. That being said....I've ditched all of my canister filters for mattenfilters or dump filters.

but I keep my EXT on hand just in case I need to throw some extra filtration on a tank now and again.

Howie

Members
Fluval 406 is a workhorse. Reliable, quiet, plenty of room for media, and has a small footprint. I run one on my 36 bow front.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Until I carelessly broke the intake elbow, I had an Eheim 2213 (too small for a 55) running for almost 30 years with two replacement O-rings and one impeller shaft.

I have a Filstar on my 65 that has held up well for about a decade now.

On my other tanks, I've converted to mattenfilters.

Blaise

jstlstn

Members
bump

Bump Aqua410 I have a FX6 and matten on a 125 and a sun-sun on my 55. The sun-sun is so much more quiet and has kept my 55 nice and clear with solid water parameters. The only reason I went to the FX6 is the sun-sun didn't keep my water as clear as I like on the 125 (film on the surface. This is not a problem on the 55 at all. I also have a EXT running on a 49 breeder it's been very reliable it does make the tank run a little hot with the pump inside the tank. So if you go EXT you might want to put the pump outside and the tank.
Just my rambling two cents.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Interesting point

Bump Aqua410 I have a FX6 and matten on a 125 and a sun-sun on my 55. The sun-sun is so much more quiet and has kept my 55 nice and clear with solid water parameters. The only reason I went to the FX6 is the sun-sun didn't keep my water as clear as I like on the 125 (film on the surface. This is not a problem on the 55 at all. I also have a EXT running on a 49 breeder it's been very reliable it does make the tank run a little hot with the pump inside the tank. So if you go EXT you might want to put the pump outside and the tank.
Just my rambling two cents.
It never occurred to me that having the EXT pump in the tank would affect the temperature materially, and I'm not sure it does on my tanks, but I've put the pump outside the tank to good effect for other reasons. That's one of the nice things about the EXT filter -- you can configure it in several different ways. It's also far easier to clean than other canisters.