• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New sponge filter. Need help

Aqua410

Members
Hey guys I grabbed a sponge filter to handle the bio filtration on my new grow out tank with a small HOB running strictly for mechanical. How small of an air pump can I run on the sponge being that all I need it for is aerating bacteria? It's in my office and the airpump thats on there is driving me crazy after the first day. I want to run something as small as a whisper 10 if that's enough.

Aqua410

Members
they don't need much. In fact I think they work better with slower flow...

Ok I'll have to pick up a smaller pump tomorrow. The one on there is a dual nozzle pump that definitely seemed like overkill when I set the pump up but I wasn't sure. I ended up modifying the sponge filter by cutting out the center tube and built in diffusion block and installed an air stone in there which quiets the sponge outflow but now the pump noise is even more noticeable.

zendog

I just wanted to check that you have something (air stone or something else) on the second output on the pump. If not, try that first if it is loud. With multiple output pumps if you don't have something on each of the outlets they are much, much louder.

Aqua410

Members
I just wanted to check that you have something (air stone or something else) on the second output on the pump. If not, try that first if it is loud. With multiple output pumps if you don't have something on each of the outlets they are much, much louder.

Just wanted to say that this worked great. I still want a smaller pump but the one I have isn't driving me crazy any more. I put a small air stone on a piece of tube attached to the extra nozzle and it is like having a muffler on there, very effective.