• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Low Flow on Old Fluvals

I use 305s and 405s on all my tanks and have a few extras from previous tanks. I've never had any issues with these filters. However, in two filters, the flow has significantly reduced. I've cleaned the filter media and checked the intake strainers without it significantly helping. So my question is this: should I switch out the canister head (I have extras). Will that help?

ddavila06

Members
it might help, the impellers are in good shape? I only have low flow on my fluval when i either have crap clogging the intake or the sponges and inside of the chamber are full of it..then again, i clean them maybe twice a year or so.. :D

mchambers

Former CCA member
I don't have any Fluvals, but a lack of knowledge and experience never stopped me from commenting! I'd give it a shot and switch the heads. If it doesn't help, you know the problem is somewhere else (perhaps a clog where the intake comes into the filter or clogged media).

Cleanwater

Members
I don't have any fluval's either but on every other filter I've used I have had to take them apart and give the impellers a good scrubbing and inspection now and again.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Check the impellers, strainers, and media baskets, if they have not been cleaned recently. Make sure nothing is restricting water flow.