• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Nano Aquarium Help Suggestions

Looking to get a nano aquarium set up sometime in the near future. I want something under 10 gallons.

Who has one, what type is it, what do you recommend?

Thanks!

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I have an aqueon 2.5 gallon with a few dwarf puffers in it.
Personally, dont love the model but it works

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Make sure you take a look at the lobby at the BIG FISH DEAL on March 4-5. CCA is having an AQUARIUM BEAUTIFUL contest and usually most of the tanks in the contest will be nano tanks. They are very well designed and set up and are a wide variety of different types of nano tanks. There will also be some larger tanks. You can get some great ideas on how to set up a tank.

These long and low rimless tanks are pretty popular. The 2ft length gives you more options fish wise.
http://www.truaqua.com/high-clarity-glass-aquarium-hca-6g.html

6.5 Gallons, 6.7x23.6x9.4

Or were you looking for something All-in-one?

im looking for everything lol, just trying to weigh my options. see what others are doing.

i like that tank shape and size i was looking at similar options.

the kits are cool but the downside seems to be getting a well rounded product. It seems most of the kits have one component either the light or the fixture or the filter thats not as solid as the other components.

although it might cost me more to build it it may be worth it. unless theres a couple great fool proof kits.

Make sure you take a look at the lobby at the BIG FISH DEAL on March 4-5. CCA is having an AQUARIUM BEAUTIFUL contest and usually most of the tanks in the contest will be nano tanks. They are very well designed and set up and are a wide variety of different types of nano tanks. There will also be some larger tanks. You can get some great ideas on how to set up a tank.

good idea. i havent really seen any in person. getting a first hand look will give me a better idea. The BFD sounds like a Big F**king Deal haha i eraly gotta make it out to this thing!

Becca

Members
Don't do the Fluval Edge - the top cover rusts and the evaporation rate is maddening.

I have two Fluval Spec V's that I got 2nd hand at very reasonable prices, so keep an eye out on Craig's list. The nice thing about a spec V is you can wrap some saran wrap, or stick some plate glass, over the opening in the top to minimize evaporation. A standard LED for a 10 gallon will fit on it, too, so you can swap out the light that comes with it with something more powerful if you want to.

You can also just go with a 5 gallon all-glass or 2.5 gallon all-glass (big box pet stores sell them for reasonable prices).

Rachel and Mark's book, The 101 Best Freshwater Nano Species is a great guide to fish you can put in these tanks. There are a few fish missing from that book (ok, well, maybe just one - Desert Gobies), but it's a great starting point.

Locally, Batfish Aquatics carries many fish suitable for nano tanks and several club members breed things like White Cloud Minnows and Celestial Pearl Danios.

Okay well when I'm ready to get a nano set up I will come back to this thread to ask more questions. Not quite ready to buy one yet but so far I liked the aqua top nano sky 7 or 4 gal. But I don't know how good the filter is. I might be better off with just a nano tank and a aquaclear hob

i have an extra 10g and wanted to make an Apistogramma cacatuoides tank. im wondering what tank mates would bee good with a pair of them?

i was thinking:
Nannostomus mortenthaleri or rubrocaudatus

if i dont go with those maby Pseudomugil furcatus ?

also was wondering if any corys would be good with those, i was looking at Corydoras habrosus.

maby it would be best to just keep them alone in that size tank, not sure...

Last edited:

Jt731

Members
I have kept them with habrosus and an otto, although only the Otto was around when they were breeding. Heavily planted though

F8LBITE

Members
Yeah man. 20L like I got on my desk is my favorite size small tank. The 30 inch footprint makes for alot of options with small Tanganyikans or Apistos

Yeah man. 20L like I got on my desk is my favorite size small tank. The 30 inch footprint makes for alot of options with small Tanganyikans or Apistos

your right i will do that i think they are going on sale at petco nxt week. ill save my 10gs for fry or something

Becca

Members
I have a rimless bookshelf tank listed for sale on GWAPA right now... I still haven't found the tape measure, but I think it's about 24-30" long... Life with toddlers... I should probably just get a new tape measure. When I tested to ensure it held water it took about 1.5 5 gallon buckets to fill it, hence my guess at 8 gallons.

If you want an all-in-one I really think the Fluval Spec series is great for that.

If you want the ultimate "nano" tank that isn't quite nano, you need a 33 gallon long... it's a stretch-nano - 48"x13x13... now THAT is a tank...

I would love to have a 33 if I can find one for the right price .. otherwise I'm probly going to go with the 20L. And I'm getting a 3g bowl from victor I will use as my nano tank for now. But I'll have to check gwapa for ur tank if there pics?

Becca

Members
I would love to have a 33 if I can find one for the right price .. otherwise I'm probly going to go with the 20L. And I'm getting a 3g bowl from victor I will use as my nano tank for now. But I'll have to check gwapa for ur tank if there pics?

I didn't get around to taking photos yet, I was planning to measure it first - LOL!

The best price you're likely to ever find on a 33 long is around $50, and that's if it's used, because they're not a common-sized tank. I will say that the two I have were absolutely worth it - they're great tanks.

Forester

Members
I didn't get around to taking photos yet, I was planning to measure it first - LOL!

The best price you're likely to ever find on a 33 long is around $50, and that's if it's used, because they're not a common-sized tank. I will say that the two I have were absolutely worth it - they're great tanks.

I just sold my two to Victor for $50/each and I'm starting to regret it. The 12in depth was what made me get rid of them, but otherwise they're awesome tanks.