• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Beltway aquarium closing?

I just picked up 6 frontosa today at 50% off the deal was too good to pass up. There are some great deals to be had.

i think you may have been there the same time as me!

i had no idea they were closing, but today was the first time i'd been there.
the mall it's in is definitely sketchy, but i liked the store. they woman who was bagging the fish up seemed a little curt, but i wouldn't say she was rude....there was a mad rush about the time i was there. anyway, i spoke with the man who i presume was the owner: he said that they had to move a while back because one of the anchor stores in the mall was expanding, but something had fallen through with their permits, so they may be moving back to their old location in the mall. so the closure may be temporary. in fact, i asked about the arapaima they had listed as "coming soon" and he told me to check back in a week or two.

Becca

Members
Perhaps their cichlid prices are reasonable, I wouldnt know (surprisingly enough) I'm not a cichlid person, but every trip I have taken there has been nothing but rediculous.

They have a poor 2' Jardini that they would rather die in a 75g than sell at a reasonable price (they have it listed at $1k, my last Jardini that sized I purchased at $250).

They often mis-label fish, they had a Tanzaniae Tiger fish labeled as an African Goliath for $300 last time I was there.

I have seen the same low grade ZZ flowerhorn with a prolapsed anus there for months on end for over $100.

They once had a pair of 20" Ornate bichirs (that were donated) for sale for $400 I tried to negotiate down, even though they were sick with ick. They refused.

They also had a 9" Niger cat for sale for $200 last time I had visited. (Jeff Rapps sells these for $25).

These are just a few examples of ridiculously high prices I have personally encountered. Obviously the store caters to the more casual fish community.

With that said, they do have well prices feeders for my python, though.

I'm usually picking up smaller stuff/nano fish there, if anything, and I only make it out that far once or twice a year. Occasionally I find something unusual there, which is nice.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I hope it is not permanently closing. The stock in Beltway is uncommon and the owner told me he import most fish from Asia. I have never seen a store that has so many 100+ gal tanks, 24+" dovii and other giants. There are no small live bearer or tetra fish though, but always first grade FH, parranha and other monster fish. I don't know the price of monster fish since I don't keep any, but the mixed African peacocks are bargain. Fully colored males are selling for $15 to $20 that can easily double in price at HOT or Congressional. I regret not picking up a couple Dragon Blood peacock on my way home from BFD and now the store is closing.

MontelBoom

Members
Anyone have anymore info about the closing? I wanna pick up some things from their but won't be able to until about the beginning of April

skanda

Members
I was there yesterday. I purchased wild caught rare corydoras for $1.99. Most stock are gone. Pikes, CA, flowerhrons, gars cichlids.