• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

F/S or Trade Malawi Haps Peacocks

Malawimania

Members
So I have an abundance of fish I would like to trade or sell. I'm looking for haps and peacocks at least 3 " plus males. I live in Harford County Bel Air area. Heres what I have currently. I can try to post some pics sometime soon.

Bi Color Maulana 3" (Mostly Males)

Nimbochromis Venustus 3"(Unsexed)

Yellow Labs 3" (Unsexed)

Copadichromis Ivory Head Moloto Fry

Aulonocara Sp Ruby Red Fry

Sciaenochromis Fryeri Electric Blue Fry

Any Takers?????

Malawimania

Members
Price update:

Bi Color Maulana Males 3" QT 12 - 10 $ a piece
All Fry 3/4"- 2 $ a piece
Venustus 3" (Unsexed) QT 29 - 7 $ a piece or 6 pack of 2" to 3" Venustus 30 bucks

Malawimania

Members
Update on whats left

Ivory Head Moloto Fry- SOLD

Ruby Red Fry- SOLD

Bi Color Maulana Peacock Male's 3" 10 bucks a piece several still avaliable (These guys are beautiful)

Venustus 3" to 3.5" (Unsexed)- $7 a piece, or a six pack of unsexed 3" $30

Venustus 3.5" Males a few- 10 a piece

turfboss

Members
Steve - question on the Ivory Head - I see from chiclid-forum (and other on line discussions) that these Copadichromis can be from several different locations in Lake Malawi - seems like the main ones are Undu Reef and Likoma - (and cichlid-forum has the Undu Reef fish listed as the common name Mloto Ivory Head)

But there seems to be some very different opinions on naming such as Copadichromis Ivory Head Moloto (whether it is Undu reef or Likoma) vs Copadichromis trewavasae Mloto (also known as Copadichromis sp. "Mloto Lupingu") and Copadichromis sp. "Mloto Ivory Head" which one write up claims are different fishes.

Some forum posters seem to think they are the same fish others say they are different and the difference seems to be that the Copadichromis trewavasae Mloto (also known as Copadichromis sp. "Mloto Lupingu") has a dorsal blaze that extends almost 1/3 of the body height, along the whole fish body - while the Copadichromis sp. "Mloto Ivory Head" doesn't have that kind of blaze extending to the body.

My question is - do we know which of these will my fry grow up to be??

turfboss

Members
Steve - another input on the Ruby Reds -

From Elisons inputs on cichlid-forum -- There is a lot of confusion regarding the red peacocks - Aulonocara "Ruby Red" (Rubin Red), Aulonocara "Rubescens" and Aulonocara "German Red". Part of the confusion is due to their names, no doubt.

First of all, these fish are not hybrids. Sure, a few may be hybrids, but this is the exception and not the rule. These fish were developed by line breeding a single species: Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Chipoka". In the lake, Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Chipoka" demonstrates a variable color variation, ranging from sunflower yellow to fire-orange. Capitalizing on the occassional orange male, Ruisbroek in Maassluis, the Netherlands, developed a red strain by selecting fry that had more and more red. Eventually, he turned out a very red peacock - the Ruby Red. It was dubbed "Rubin Red" simply because Peter Rubin was the first in the United States to import the strain. As you can see then, this fish does not constitute a new species - being that they are still Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Chipoka". The new name is a marketing gimmick, but a justified one inasmuch as it alerts the hobbyist to the red body color.

Wondering whether I will be able to put these in the same tank with my "Stuartgranti Ngara" Flame Tails when they grow up without fear of hybridizing. Anybody have any inputs??

Malawimania

Members
George,

Happy to hear the little guys are doing well. To address both of your questions starting with the Ivory Head Moloto's, check this link out from Dave's Rare Fish. I bought a trio from him in the CCA group buy not too long ago. The Dorsal on these guys is easily a 1/3 the length of the body, which is compariable to the size of the Lwanda's Dorsal. These guys are one of my favorites in the hobby.

http://www.davesfish.com/images/Copadichromis trewavasae Likoma.jpg

As for the ruby reds, do not mix these guys with your ngara flame tails they will hybridize.

Malawimania

Members
Ok, so some people have been asking me for more pics here are a couple.

I purchased the Bi Color Maulana from Exotic Aquatics as a pair last August. When I purchased the pair I thought for sure they were Blue Neon Peacocks because of the intense yellow through out most of the fish. Exotic assured me they were Bi-Color Maulana Peacocks. I asked a lot of questions because I was skeptical about the fish. After much debate they told me where they got the pair from. The link attached is where Exotic's purchased the Bi Color Maulana Peacocks from. http://www.floridatropicalfishdirect.com/

The males I have for sale are from the proud papa in the pic. I've seen many Bi Color Maulana's with Yellow extending to different lengths throughout the body. I just never saw one with this much yellow. Anyways, I was curious to know what other people think about the fish. Is it a Bi Color Maulana like exotics said, or is it actually a blue neon? I'm pretty certain it's not a hybrid but I thought I would ask. Thoughts anyone....

IMAG0438 (1).jpg

IMAG0686.jpg

monfrey29

Members
I don't know much about the blue neon, but this is what it looks like. I can see the confusion if it were a sub-adult (IMO).

Sent from my YP-G70 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1343529466912.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1343529476486.jpg

Rasta Fish

Members
First pic look like its a Blue Neon not sure about the second pic he may just need to color some more.
Thats no Bi Color