• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Parachromis Motaguense - The Bane of My Fishkeeping Existence

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Anyone else have a species that they've tried to keep, but for whatever reason just can't keep them alive? For me, it is parachromis motaguense. I'm going on my 3rd failed attempt in less than 2 years.

The first try was the summer of 2011 after the ACA. I picked up 4 2"+ juvies and put them in a 75 with several other similar sized fish. I lost the first one within days, and the other three over the next few weeks. I chalked it up to shipping stress and aggression.

I tried again last spring when DQ had a brood from his pair. I got 6-8 fry from him, but they turned out to be a bit smaller than I thought, so I had to move some fish around to have space. I threw the group in a breeder net overnight until I had time to rearrange things the next day. I woke up to find the largest one had killed all the others in a period of 12 hours. The large one went into the original tank I had planned with other grow outs and perished soon there after.

The third time was an order I made from Cichlids of the Americas a few weeks ago. This time I ordered another 6 1" fish. There was an extra in the bag, but it didn't look well upon arrival and died shortly thereafter. I put the other 6 in a 10 gallon. I lost the next one the first night, then things seemed to calm down. The fry were VERY reclusive, hiding among the drift wood and fake plants in the tank. I decided to throw some endlers in to help make them more comfortable. I thought there was no way that endlers could push around parachromis of equal size. Still, I never saw the parachromis except the occasional dart out of their hiding spot to grab a flake. Saturday, there were two dead on the bottom of the tank. I did a big water change and left the lights off since then. I came home today to find two more floating. Maybe its another case of the alpha fish killing all its siblings, but I haven't seen anything out and about in the tank except the endlers. Talk about frustrating.

Anyone got any pointers? Similar experiences with a species you've really want to keep and breed but just no luck?

Last edited:

rich_one

Members
Dang, man...that's rough. Wish I had some words of wisdom there, man. My bane has been gymno balzanii. Every fish in that tank does well. The balzanii... Not so much. Frustrating.

-Rich

I have had no luck with arowanas for some reason. They always seem so fragile when they are small so about three months ago I decided a different strategy and start with a decent size one. That last about all of a week in a half since the dayum thing decided he would not eat for me and starved itself to death. I am giving it one more try now, pick up a 8 - 9 inch one who is doing well so far. I have had him for about 3 weeks now. He did give me scare as well, previous owner had him on krill and talapia I get him home and after 3/4 days this one is not eating anything either and I'm thinking here we go again. After much frustration I decided to go back to the basic and start all over with crickets and amazingly he loves them but thats all I can get him to eat now... I tell you the frustration of this hobby can be so amazing at times...

blkmjk

Members
Its Festea for me. I got 18 from dangerchicken and 12 from COA. Not a single one left. I also killed a adult pair I bought from a guy in MD 12" male,9" female they were perfect. And I screwed it all up. I have had like wise experience with RTM. Killed at least 10 juvies over 2 years. This is embarrassing as all heck but I think my inexperience and impulsiveness caused the bulk of my tragedy. Hindsight =20/20

Keep your head up. The way I figure it is if they make it through my tanks they are true survivors.

Drew

Jon/Drew you guys are scaring me with regards to the RTM i am suppose to be picking up some 1 inchers tonight... any words of wisdom you can can send my way on these?????

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Like I said, I've had absolutely no luck with them. The only thing I haven't tried is growing them out in separate tanks.

Where are you getting fry from?

blkmjk

Members
Jon/Drew you guys are scaring me with regards to the RTM i am suppose to be picking up some 1 inchers tonight... any words of wisdom you can can send my way on these?????

Lots of space. Good diet. And a lucky rabbits got.

Drew

NO GOOD DEED SHALL GO UNPUNISHED!

tparker

Members
you are scaring me. I just picked up 40-1" rt motaguense. Ihave them housed in a 10 gallon tank with no casualties so far. Before you ask, he had a new spawn of wigglers and asked if I could accommodate the remainder of previous spawn. So far so good. They seem to be pretty durable. Would you like a few?