• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

African ID

Purchased as Aulonocara kandeense.

Body color is dark purple/blackish/blue- very dark coloring.

Coloring on forehead is orange with some white.

Some yellow in shoulders.

Any thoughts on species?

Ading522

Members
It looks like blue regal? I'm not sure either.. Just looking at images on Google and stuff.. The kadensee blue orchid could also look like that..best you ask some experts. Maybe jay from cichlidsarespecial ?

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
It looks like blue regal? I'm not sure either.. Just looking at images on Google and stuff.. The kadensee blue orchid could also look like that..best you ask some experts. Maybe jay from cichlidsarespecial ?

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Kadensee seems possible but don't they get to 4.5 in
How big is this guy?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

This fish is a hybrid. I never say that unless I'm sure and in this case I'm fairly sure. Wrong shape for blue orchid but the color and white crest somewhat match. The yellow Orange shoulder doesn't appear on a blue orchid. The mouth and slope of forehead is also different. Imho it shows traits of A. blue orchid and or A. yellow collar manzini reef as well as shape and slight color similarities to some stuartgranti variants possibly red shoulder. The size and shape of the mouth is very similar to S. Fryeri but I'm not going to say for sure either way, some stuartgranti also have similar mouths. Where did you get this fish? Was it labeled? Some people hate hybrids so much they would...eliminate his genes from the pool. I don't agree, I wouldn't breed them but some are cool and deserve a chance at life. I like him, one of my favs is a hybrid. Just be responsible and don't breed him.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Where did you get this fish?

I purchased him from a fellow hobbyist, along with three other fish.

The other fish were no doubt described accurately and one of the three was announced as a hybrid by the seller.

I always had my doubts that this fish was Aulonocara kandeense (thats why I posted), but I also liked the fish from the moment I saw him.

He's in my all male setup, to me he is beautiful and has proven to be an exceptional tank mate.

No way would I ever breed this fish....

Last edited:
I purchased him from a fellow hobbyist, along with three other fish.

The other fish were no doubt described accurately and one of the three was a hybrid which was obvious and conveyed by the seller.

I always had my doubts that this fish was Aulonocara kandeense (thats why I posted), but I also liked the fish from the moment I saw him.

He's in my all male setup, to me he is beautiful and has proven to be an exceptional tank mate.

No way would I ever breed this fish....

Kudos, sometimes the oddballs are the most interesting ones!

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App