• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Female convict won't let male near eggs

Hi, I have 2 convicts, 1 pink female and 1 black male. The female has laid eggs but won't let the male near them. I've never bred fish of any kind and just noticed this morning that she was being very aggressive and territorial over one of my flower pot "caves". Upon further inspection there are hundreds of little eggs but she won't let the male anywhere close. Doesn't he have to fertilize the eggs to get them to hatch?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

verbal

CCA Members
The chances are very good that they have been fertilized already. It isn't 100% with the first spawn, but chances are very high they will figure it out.

What size is your tank?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Unfertilized eggs will turn white pretty quickly. Fertilized ones will be orange. It's pretty typical for a female to keep everything away from the nest.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

They are living in a 20 long right now my 55 sprung a leak so I had to divide my fish between my 2 20 longs neither of them are more than 2" at the moment, thanks for the reply I'll just watch and see what happens I guess...

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The white spots are likely the unfertilized eggs. The orange ones are the good ones. It may take a few tries before they get it right.

Alright thanks for the help ill just wait and see what happens with them...but just out of curiosity, if they were to hatch would the offspring be black convicts, pink convicts, or just a mix between the 2?

Well my guess would be that about 1/2-3/4 of the eggs hatched into tiny wrigglers...so I'm guessing they figured it jaha now I'm just waiting fir my tank to be overrun with tiny convicts...