• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New 125g setup...my first monster tank (and story!

rsanz

monster tank newbie
Well, it's been 6 years in the planning (ever since we moved into our house 6 years ago). We moved in with just a lowly 20g long. I upgraded to a 40g long right away, but it still looked tiny on that wall... We need a monster tank.

Fast forward 5 years later. I trolled craigslist for about a year trying to find a show-quality tank and furniture. I did buy a very nice 135g acrylic setup with stand, but it had an integral blue background which, while nice, did not match my vision for the tank. I tried building a 3D background to cover the blue, but I didn't size it right and I got frustrated and quit on it. I eventually gave up after another purchase and flip.

2 months after I had given up hope, my parents told me that they were going to get rid of an old antique chest that they had had in their house since before I was born. It ugly, but it was big enough for fit a 6 foot tank, and it was so hideous that I kind of loved it (in a bulldog is so ugly that they're cute kind of a way...a face only a mother/father could love). I had an attachment to this antique chest, and had fond memories of driving my matchbox cars over the curvy lines of the front carving. I couldn't let them throw it away/give it away.

I knew the antique was made in the 1600s...so I didn't trust it holding a 1,000+ lbs tank. I decided to build a skeleton frame out of 2x lumber to fit inside of the chest so that it was not visible and we could still enjoy the furniture under the tank, but strong enough to support the weight without worry. The frame can be seen fitted inside the chest here:

2016-04-10%20-%20125g_zpsu4jsdp5y.jpg

2016-04-10%202%20-%20125g_zpsssdjy0ez.jpg

I also built a platform out of pink foam and oriented strand board to give the tank a nice flat and level base to sit on, since the antique top had a lot of dips and divots in it from its 400 years of life prior to its latest calling as an aquarium stand. I just did a quick hardwood trim and a brown spray paint job around the ply/foam and called the platform good. Tee idea was for it to disappear under the tank, and I'm pleased with the way it turned out.

I've never had a tank this huge. How the heck would I fill it? I've always used the "bucket brigade" technique from our kitchen sink to fill and do water changes on the 40 gallon. This thing was too huge and too tall to do buckets. Time to bring in the hose from outside!

20160416_124129_zpsqqo9tjdq.jpg

It took an entire day to wash the sand, scrub the rocks (boulders?!) from our yard, fill the tank (it took about 20 minutes to fill from the hose), and bring the water up to temperature with 2-250 watt Jager heaters (78 degrees from 56 tap temperature). After that, it took about half an hour to set up the FX-6 filter, set up the 6 foot light, and transfer over the flora and fauna from the 40g long river tank. What a day!

Here's a photo of the tank all set up with everything from the 40g (rocks, driftwood, plants, fish). Everything looks so tiny...I'll definitely need some more driftwood and possibly a few more rocks to fill out the aquascape while waiting for the plants to grow in. You can see Bubba the adolescent oscar in the bottom center of the photo, for whom all of this effort was for:

2016-04-17%20-%20125g_zpsbqbztsx4.jpg

I'm thinking up a stock list to fill out the tank. I'm thinking of a small school of 3-4 Rotkeil severums, and probably 5 or 6 more farlowellas to join the current lonely farlowella that I have in there now. I was also considering getting a true parrot cichlid (hoplarchus psittacus) instead of the Rotkeils. I was also considering a school of clown loaches, but I'd like to keep this as a South American biotope tank I think. Maybe a school of geophagus? Any opinions/suggestions?

Thanks for looking! It was a labor of love, and my wife, baby, and I are thrilled with the way it turned out, and can't wait to see how the plants fill in!

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
Tank looks good - sevs will eat your plants, though!

What is the origin of the stand? It's amazing...

Matt

rsanz

monster tank newbie
Tank looks good - sevs will eat your plants, though!

What is the origin of the stand? It's amazing...

Matt

Thanks for the info on the sevs. Maybe a school of geophagus would be a better choice?

The stand is an antique chest from Spain, ca. 1600. The front carving was added later, as indicated by an appraiser. It's not worth very much, but I simply couldn't let my parents give it away. I had to have it. :)

FishEggs

I would be more reluctant to trust the bottom of the cabinet that way than having the side panels bare the weight. Then again i have not seen or inspected the chest in person to know how it is constructed.
It's a very nice old chest. Any idea when and where the carving came from?

rsanz

monster tank newbie
I would be more reluctant to trust the bottom of the cabinet that way than having the side panels bare the weight. Then again i have not seen or inspected the chest in person to know how it is constructed.
It's a very nice old chest. Any idea when and where the carving came from?

Hey FishEggs, thanks again for the white pool filter sand delivery! This 125 is the tank for which I needed it. :)

I hear you on the side panels. The side panels are *also* bearing the weight of the tank, but I didn't want JUST the side panels of the original furniture bearing the weight as there are no intermediate supports across the 72" span from side panel to side panel on the original furniture, and I also wanted the edge of the tank base to rest directly on a 2x since the chest is wider than the tank. I just wanted to give it some additional reinforcement so that I'm not up at night worrying.

The appraiser said the carvings were done in the late 1800s or early 1900s. There are no markings or signatures anywhere on the chest, so it's difficult to date.

rsanz

monster tank newbie
An update:

Got some more manzanita driftwood from manzanita.com. Soaked it for 4 weeks and added it to the tank yesterday. Let me know your opinions on the new aquascape! Always open to suggestions. Also including some shots of the inhabitants. :)

20160528_110944_zpsqihfeixx.jpg

20160528_111011_zpsmq1xfrnd.jpg

05_zpsnfydobcu.jpg

03_zpsldnqz3rw.jpg

02_zpshjs31hfr.jpg

y3mJlqYETHinq8ITKp6CgdYJHodfVEnRuSKwQkhBlysjZvNrl_p8iIAiJyaOLamqmhlPPWWbiDsxuyEfe6yRd5iI2sssYV13dL5OyDLfD73kdQoN3tANZ0oaE57s5-vhhnPcA9I3LLznrpYQoqeiy3ez0mZ_IF3uYugysTVtBB-oSk

Spine

Members
Your tank looks awesome. I didn't see the original post but I would have suggested Red head tapajo's, lol.

rsanz

monster tank newbie
Very Nice. One of the pics is WAY TOO BIG. It distorts the whole page.

That's strange...it shows up fine on my screen? Anyways, sorry about that! It looks like it's too late for me to edit it, but if a mod wants to come in and edit that large photo out, that would be fine with me.

rsanz

monster tank newbie
An update after several months! I went on vacation for 2 weeks so the wood has stained the water a bit yellow (even after a 50% water change), but the plants exploded while I was away (especially the swords in the center) so I wanted to document it. :) I'm pretty proud of myself for growing the cabomba bunch from one straggler stem that came with my parent amazon sword plant. The swords in the center are offspring plants of the parent in the right corner. The parent is not doing as well...but the kids are growing huge!

I've lost 2 tapajos. One I lost over vacation, and I never could find the corpse. I guess he's plant food now. The second was a casualty of an overzealous oscar during feeding time. The oscar was going for the pellets, but I guess the redhead swam to close to his mouth and got sucked in, and the oscar teeth clamped down. The oscar seriously looked like he was shocked and remoreseful. I thought about trying to save the redhead, but then I thought better of it and just left it be. I felt pretty horrible because I feel like it was my fault for not "distracting" the oscar with larger pellets on the other end of the tank like I normally do before dumping in the food for the rest of the fish. The unfortunate redhead was gone in the morning, but I really didn't notice the oscar's belly to look very full. I was surprised by that.

The redheads are also battling what I believe to be parasites. Several of them have sunken bellies, but they are still eating. I am starting a jungle parasite food regimen this week, and it's a 4 week treatment (3 consecutive days a week for 4 weeks). We'll see how that goes. They spit out the food when it's plain, but after a good garlic soaking they appear to be taking it in and swallowing it.

Anyways, without further ado...the pics:

y3m_uPKMiIlpDx92-oItwqZDjCFzJ6hBqudEZORpgt1zTNgwbxPDCK3rtc9VSYs0vV-U9RuEgJi9beuVATG34mcGu5yZDe46p20gCKe1jyxML1eO9yyFEhvlt7L5c1b875y0d3PI9WAO39Z9xVifi3Bc0RDOKfNYsPKVXhZMKkzv7o

y3m3hjjUW90cJBgK_NxeGo5IEIeepeZMXio1j4MWuVeX_G-R2Qf0FBJ6pBTfddwUsAo1tPqCH4HUIAoGSqB-w0lcreFLW-kwk0b5QerZpFT6IjosBWEHN5btwuClRMqIF353uWCRjwcxeRcvX1dyaIB7ZwaWeU45K8c_68qS_PGx4s

rsanz

monster tank newbie
Thanks, everyone! I'm pretty pleased with how the tank has matured thus far. I'm looking into getting a hoplarchus psittacus soon to add as a 2nd centerpiece.