• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Driftwood rotting

dhavalsp

Members
How to identify of driftwood has rotten and beyond use for aquarium use?!

I suppose the degradation starts immediately after the wood is detached and put into water but when do you really just discard it?

I have some malaysian(!?) driftwood in my tank... It has always been a bit soft and it came with the aquarium...it has anubia growing off of it and I never really moved or messed with it much..yesterday I got it out of the tank to retie one of the loose plant and realized it smelled foul.. Really bad... Almost sewer like... I didn't expect it as I do daily water changes...

Firstly, is this normal? If not, was there anything I could have done to prevent it? Lastly, can I salvage it ( not putting it back in my discus tank but maybe with some other less valuable fish)?

I am sure plecos are missing it already but discus are appreciating absence of smell ...

JLW

CCA Members
Hah, I don't think the fish notice a smell... but, if the wood is soft through, it should be discarded. If its only a little soft on the outside, don't worry about it. Let it dry completely, and put it back in. It'll usually be fine.

You can always power wash it, too.

dhavalsp

Members
Thanks Josh and Becca...

I will let it dry a little and then see how I feel about it...I did wash it thoroughly, but the smell remained...

It is just soft on the surface...

Thanks,

dhaval

JLW

CCA Members
Batfish is now carrying a new product called "ViAqua" used for treating this exact problem. If your wood has gotten soft, simply open one capsule of ViAqua into your tank, and guaranteed, your wood will be hard again!

* For driftwood floating more than 3 months, you should see an aquarist.

Tangcollector

Staff member
Batfish is now carrying a new product called "ViAqua" used for treating this exact problem. If your wood has gotten soft, simply open one capsule of ViAqua into your tank, and guaranteed, your wood will be hard again!

* For driftwood floating more than 3 months, you should see an aquarist.

That's messed up!