• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Will a new movie hurt fish population

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Another one
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/stat...03-9fb9-79a8-e053-0100007fd83d-377687521.html

In Orlando, aquarium supply store owner Marcye Sweeney vowed she won't sell any blue tang, aka Pacific palette surgeonfish.
"Thousands of clownfish died after 'Finding Nemo,'" said Sweeney, owner at Sea in the City. "People will tell you that you can set up an aquarium immediately and raise these fish, but they are generally wrong. It's not that easy."
She said she tries to educate customers about the needs of the animals.

dhavalsp

Members
unfortunately, I am sure it is going to impact their population just as clown fish...unless there is an official step to restrict their collection in the reefs...

sadly, we cannot fully stop poaching of endangered large species like some rhinos...so not sure how much one can control this...

dogofwar

CCA Members
Best thing for fish stores to do is to recommend a "Freshwater Dory" alternative.

Thoughts on what "Freshwater Dory" could be?

Maybe a blue betta or a blue zebra (mbuna)...

Matt

JLW

CCA Members
I'm more concerned that the message of the movie is that fish do not belong in aquariums, and you should release your pets.

Becca

Members
I'm more concerned that the message of the movie is that fish do not belong in aquariums, and you should release your pets.

Indeed. The first movie certainly had that message.

I worked at The Aquarium Center when the first movie came out and only experienced one jacka$$ who came in and demanded a "Nemo Fish" to put in a bowl for her grand-kid's birthday party. It just had to live through the next day. We sent her crazy tuches home.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Indeed. The first movie certainly had that message.

I worked at The Aquarium Center when the first movie came out and only experienced one jacka$$ who came in and demanded a "Nemo Fish" to put in a bowl for her grand-kid's birthday party. It just had to live through the next day. We sent her crazy tuches home.

I too have many stories from the days of TFW when customers wanted "Nemo" for their bowls or vases. I even had someone ask about putting them in vases with floating candles for wedding table decor. Ugh.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Saltwater fish are not something to be messed with. The reef systems we have are already stressed as it is. I like the idea of suggesting an Mbuna or other African readily available that looks close, like an Acai or Zebra Chilumba, maybe even demasoni, someting dark blue and relatively easier to keep.

Aqua410

Members
They already have a "Dory" display up in the petsmart in Dundalk. No offense to that store in particular I actually find their tanks to always be clean and haven't seen any sick fish or floaters in there but I'm sure the petsmart organization is promoting this.

Anyway the display is basically 10g starter kits and betta bowls so hopefully kids will buy a betta and a ten gallon tank and name it Dory if anything.

Termato

Board of Directors
Just reading some of these stories makes me want to slap some people into reality. Wow.

Do you think with the recent breakthrough of captive bred blue tangs that it will help keep wild caught to a minimum?