• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Skittish Corys

I bought 3 metae corys about a month ago now. They were very skittish when I bought them but I figured that they would eventually settle in. They haven't. They're always hiding and I'm wondering if there's a way to encourage them to come out more.
The corys are in a 40 breeder with 30+ cherry shrimp. The shrimp are always out and about. Nitrate, nitrite, etc. are all at low to 0.
Any suggestions?

image.jpg

image (2).jpg

image (1).jpg

FishEggs

I think they are wondering where all the other fish are and what's eating them so they think they better hide.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I agree, either more corys or a bunch of fish that are out all the time like guppies or angelfish, but then, bu-bye shrimp.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
5 or 6 seems to be a good minimum for corys to feel secure and behave most naturally. I have some that seem to dislike bright lights and become far more active in ambient room lighting. I have others that don't give a fig.

Blaise

Jt731

Members
This is something I read so take with a grain of salt but one man used to put hit cories when he first got them in a sand bottom only tank for at least a month. No decorations other than a sponge filter. No light other than ambient. This taught the cories to be comfortable without hiding.

Becca

Members
More cories and a small dither - like white clouds, danio choprae, or something similar. You could easily fit a very large school of them in that tank.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
the shrimp can actually be really irritating to fish as well, once htey get to large numbers (they tend to land on them and graze when the fish rest). I agree with more cories, they are a schooling fish, and unless you are doing a breeding project with a specific trio, more is always better for their activity levels and comfort.

I got 3 more today and once the shrimp population grows a little more I'll see about adding some small fish. Thanks for the advice