• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Set em up

Jefft

Members
I am expanding my tank line up I am not sure just yet which way I will be going but both scenarios below present my thoughts and intended direction.
What I want to do with this thread is show you the "teachers" my current inventory of fish, and new proposed tank line up. The problem I want to present to you more experienced fish keepers is to divide my fish inventory among my proposed tank space. I would love to see how you would divide the tank space and fish and to hear your reasons for doing so. Also which tank scenario you think is best and why. Top priorities for me in no particular order are.

Priorities
Purity of strain
Peaceful coexistence
Best scenario for breeding
"Comfort" enough room to grow comfortably

Proposed scenarios for available tank space.

Scenario 1
2xs 75g
2xs 55g
2x 40g breeder
1x 30g cube tank.

Scenario 2
1x 125g
1x 75g
1x 55g
2x 40g breeder
1x 30g cube

Fish Inventory.
8 Yellow tail acei
6 Copadichromis borleyi Kadango ''Red Fin''
6 Yellow labs
15 Cynotilapia afra cobue
6 Metraclimia callainos nhkata bay cobalt zebras
11 Metraclimia sp. Elongatus Cherwe Cherwe
6 Electric blue Ahili
6 Cynotilapia Mphanga Rocks
6 Cynotilapia sp. “Hara” Gallireya Reef
6 Red Empress
8 Rusties.

Over 200 fry in breeding holding nets growing out for the auctions.

Thank you in advance for reading through this post and for your advice and proposed solutions.

Last edited:

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Simpler

So what you're really asking is if you should add a second 55 & a second 75 to what you already have or just a single 125, yes?

I don't do Rifters but that's an easier question to answer.

Last edited:

Jefft

Members
Well single 125g and another 40g or another 75g 55g and 40g breeder. The division of the fish is important to me as well, as I have read my Red Fin may well go alpha territorial and put some hurting on my other fish. Also I have heard mabuna and Haps aren't good together. Not sure what you mean by a "rifter"?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Just made it up

As in the East African Rift Lakes - primarily Tanganyika, Victoria and Malawi for our purposes but there are about 30 major ones in total.

verbal

CCA Members
I think the 125 would probably be more helpful than the 75/55 combo. I think you may find the Boreyli tamer with more space, plus it gives you a chance to try large haps in the future if you decide to go that route.

If possible you may get more benefit from 3 or 4 10s rather than another 40 breeder. It seems that would give you more options for fry grow-out and hospital tanks.

Obviously keeping the cynotilapia and Metraclimia separated is important. The rusties/yellow labs and acei should be relatively easy to mix in any of the tanks. The acei should probably go in the 75 due to their large size.

Jefft

Members
Obviously keeping the cynotilapia and Metraclimia separated is important. The rusties/yellow labs and acei should be relatively easy to mix in any of the tanks. The acei should probably go in the 75 due to their large size.

This is a very intriguing statement I have to ask why? Is it the vertical bar mbuna and possible interbreeding or something else I am missing? Currently they are housed together in the existing 75g with no issues of aggression.

verbal

CCA Members
This is a very intriguing statement I have to ask why? Is it the vertical bar mbuna and possible interbreeding or something else I am missing? Currently they are housed together in the existing 75g with no issues of aggression.

I guess it was intriguing, but not clear. With re-reading I can see it wasn't well worded.

Assuming you aren't dealing with wildly different temperaments or very similar coloration, a combo of Cynotilapia and Metraclimia should be ok.

The point I was intending to make was to keep different species of the same genera separate from each other to prevent interbreeding.