• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New Acryclic tanks - Project time

eden2020

Members
Well.. After the 180 issue and sale to someone who I feel can repair and use it, I had decided to reset and get more focused on what i want to keep, breed, and rehome..

And then as usual I found another tank. I am sure some of you may have come across it on CL, but I finally worked out a price. It is 30 x 30 x 30 acrylic, at least half inch. Brand new in the box with protective paper on it. Should be 108 gallons or so..

Then I noticed a in the back of the garage another cube- turns out to be 24 x 24 x 24 (about 60 gallons) that had some scratches on the top and bottom, but the sides look real nice. The price on that was too good to pass up.. acrylic as well..

So I guess I have a couple stands to build and a little buffing in order on the 60 gallon. Now if I can just figure out how to do it.. LOL

Heck for the price of it, if I screw it up I won't feel bad using it as a quarantine or grow out..

-Marc and family..

Congrats on the new tanks. Does it seem like it will be difficult to work in that 30x30 tank? I looked at that size awhile back and had some thoughts and decided to pass.

eden2020

Members
30 x 30 x 30

Any tank over 24 inches seems to be a pain the rear for me.. so when I have a tank that tall I tend to build a shorter stand for it. That way a small step stool can get me through the aquascaping. I have a 56 column that was a little tight getting it scaped, but now that it's set-up it's no big deal.

This 110 cube is stupid cool. I love cube tanks as much as long and wide tanks. I'll snap a pic if I get a chance.

-marc and family..

eden2020

Members
LOL..

Typically I build a 2x4 stand and then leave it because I can never decided what type of plywood to use on the outer.. BUT.. this time I have solicited the help of my father in law who is a hobbyist woodworker. I asked him if he would assist in a darker wood / maybe cherry stand for the 30 x 30, then had to call him back to tell him I have two tanks now.. He told me no problem. He recently retired so I guess he has a little more time now.

It will be a while, but I will revisit this thread to add updates.

-marc and family.

Hawkman2000

Members
Awesome. Have you thought about using the 24x24x24 for a sump under the 30x30x30? Would make a really cool looking setup.

eden2020

Members
Sump

Hawk.. good idea.. but actually considered modifying the 30 x 30 x 30 to waterfall into the 24 x 24 x 24 and return via canister or pump..

But that might be a smidge over me head.. It would look cool though..

-marc and family

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Nice pickups for sure, Marc!

Sounds like a couple of awesome projects. Please do keep us posted. :)

eden2020

Members
First things first..

First I need to test buff the smaller tank's bottom..

If i get that figured out then I will work to the top and edges..

A bit new to buffin' out acrylic scratches..

-marc