• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Should I grab these stacked tanks off CL?

verbal

CCA Members
It looks like the bottom tank is a 33(12" high) or 40 gallon long. Both tanks are 48" long. I think that is a reasonable deal. I would break down the value something like this:

tanks $40/each
stand $30
lights $20/each

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I looked at those tanks almost two years ago

They're in terrible shape - massive hard water deposits, didn't appear to have been cleaned ever. Nice array but the price for the set-up is borderline IMO as the lights are just old fluorescent tube fixtures. Be prepared for a lot of scouring and know that the picture makes them look much nicer than they really are.

thedavidzoo

Members
Thanks for the heads-up. If some of you guys have already seen these tanks and turned them down, and they have been for sale forever, then maybe I should pass on them. I emailed him again. We'll see what he comes back with.

thedavidzoo

Members
This is what the guy said:
Tanks are in good condition, ready for setup. No leak no scratches looks great

and after mentioning things from the grapevine:
I dont no who you spoke to but I have been trying to sale them for about a year and a half. I didn't sale them because everyone wanted to low ball me and I am not giving them away way for free. I had one person come by and look at them thats all. If you are for real about a purchase call me

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Go for it

Hey, go look at them and judge for yourself. If you're willing to put in an hour or so with some razor blades and a container of "Bar Keepers Friend" (the best glass/ general surface cleaner there is short of acid), might be a good thing especially if he has some heaters. filters, etc. to throw into the deal. You'll also need a wire brush and a small can of black Rustoleum to refinsih the stand - another hour or so but not excessive.

Could be a nice set-up once/if it was dialed in. If you decide to go ahead I'd offer you $50 (or a significantly greater amount in fish/plants/equipment) for the 44 if you think you'd rather go with a couple of 20 highs or a second 55 instead - the 44 is the real reason I went to check it out in the first place as I have a space in my kitchen that was just made for that size tank. Heck, might could even go with you to help you load up if you're game and can spot you the Rustoleum, a couple razor blades and half a can of Bar Keeper's Friend (check this out folks if you haven't already - think it's mostly just salt and baking soda but it's amazing stuff for the fish room, kitchen, bathroom, etc._

How's that for a reversal of position?:D

bar-keepers-friend-2.jpg

mchambers

Former CCA member
If he's been trying to sell them for a year and a half without success, he really ought to drop the price, but it doesn't sound like he's open to that.

kevin911

Members
I like the furthest left and right decor on the top tank :) If you decide to buy it I'll buy those 2 for a reasonable price :p

thedavidzoo

Members
He'd do $150 instead of the $200 he listed. Wonder if he'd come down more...What he called low-balling by all the other interested buyers....

Yep. use Bar Keeper's Friend in my bathrooms, haven't tried it on aquariums.