• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hello There

bcrab01

Members
Greetings;
I am new to this forum and would like to introduce myself. I have several aquariums from the typical freshwater 10 gallon to 10 & 29 gallon salt water to 29 & 55 gallon Discus, Oscars and lastly a pond in the back yard with Japanese Koi which were raised and showed.
I have experience with under gravel, over the back and canister filters large biological filtration for the pond.
About ten years ago, I with all the aquariums and pond. Recently, my daughter purchased a 29 gallon aquarium which peaked my interest again. I pulled out all of those old books and started reading.
I am contemplating a cichlid tank. Once my wife accepts the idea, I can move forward! My questions if anyone cares to comment is what size tank? I know bigger is better, but I’m looking at 75 or 90 gallon, and what species of cichlids would be a good start with? Lastly, reading numerous articles on the internet, do you recommend or not mixing cichlids from different parts Lake Malawi versus Lake Tanganyikan.
Thank you in advance for any and all comments.

//Bill
Frederick, Maryland

Forester

Members
500,000,000 gallons :) How about a 6 foot 125 gallon. Personally I think a New Wold tank would be better :)

Ading522

Members
Welcome to the forum.. The mixing part depends whether you are going for a show tank or community tank.. I'd personally go for tanks with more footprint for example a 60x18 90 gallon as opposed to a 48x18 one just so the fish have more "room" to establish territory. Taller tanks generally do not provide those.. What are you most interested in? New worlds or old worlds? Maybe some people can comment based on that answer..welcome again! Many great people and hopefully you make it to one of the auctions and meetings..

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Hi Bill. Welcome to the forum. It is considered a best practice not to mix cichlids from different lakes. Their water requirements and dietary habits may not be the same. When the fish are locally sourced (ex. Florida farm), the water parameters between cichlids from different lakes does not matter as much.

Have you given any thought as to which cichlids you would like to house? I noticed that you mentioned a 75 and a 90. There are other tanks available that are 48". For example, there is a 48x24 120 gallon. Deep Blue is a company that makes a couple of odd sizes as well.

With regards to the 90, take into consideration the height when the tank is on the stand. You will need to be able to easily reach inside and to the back in order when decorating, cleaning, etc.

chriscoli

Administrator
Welcome to the forum!

I think that Andrew's given you some excellent advice. Sounds like you're going with African cichlids, or are you considering south/Central American cichlids instead?

I do occasionally mix the various rift lakes, but nearly all of mine are from captive bred stock. I find, though, that the tanks I like best are from only one lake....the fish seem to just "go together" better that way.

bcrab01

Members
Thank You

Good Morning All,

First and foremost, THANK YOU for your comments and advise. Since I’m new to cichlids, I really wasn’t thinking about the footprint concept or height of the 90 gallon, which all makes sense.

At this point, I’m still researching the specific species (African cichlids versus South/Central American versus New World). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’m looking for something with color that will stand out and have that WOW factor.

Two other questions:

Any recommendations or referrals to stores and shops in order to obtain aquariums and their related equipment at a reasonable price? Ten years or so, I dealt with That Fish Place in Lancaster, PA. Frederick has some resources, but some are on the high $$ side.

Any idea when & where the next meeting will be for 2014?

Thanks again for all your advice.

//Bill

Ading522

Members
To Answer: this is just my two cents

At this point, I’m still researching the specific species (African cichlids versus South/Central American versus New World). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’m looking for something with color that will stand out and have that WOW factor.

A: WOW factor? that will be hard to really debate on that as New Worlds are really nice in color as well as the different male fish from the African Rift Lakes..and i guess most members on CCA are keeping New Worlds..maybe it would all come down to size of the tank you are "allowed" to keep?..new worlds tend to be bigger than their cichlid "cousins" from the rift lakes, but there are also smaller new worlds that do okay in small tank setups.. that could be something to decide on to help guide you to your setups.. in regards to color, the male species of african rift lake fish have a lot of color in them, and depending again on your tank size, you can be able to setup a very nice tank..but then again, New Worlds are not that dull in color as well..

Two other questions:

Any recommendations or referrals to stores and shops in order to obtain aquariums and their related equipment at a reasonable price? Ten years or so, I dealt with That Fish Place in Lancaster, PA. Frederick has some resources, but some are on the high $$ side.

A: CL ( craigslist) is always the best place to scout for deals..and depending on location and distance you are willing to travel, there are ALWAYS nice deals.. some CCA members also sell nice setups, but its really rare..as most members in here are also looking to "stack up" on their collections.. ebay may be a second choice, but deals are usually further and may require shipping by freight or a long travel which may not be ideal for you.. ask anyone local who might know someone selling.. House of Tropicals has some tank sales until the 8th of december and Petco has $1/gallon sales at least twice a year.. its always good to ask around.. :) best of luck!

if fish equipment are what you are looking for, here are a few vendors that most of the members here frequent online or in person.
http://www.kensfish.com/
http://www.bigalspets.com/
http://www.yourfishstuff.com/, and
http://www.jehmco.com/

LOCALLY:

House of Tropicals in Glen burnie,
Batfish aquatics in Silver Spring,
Congressional in Rockville? ( i think)
CCA meetings and auctions

Any idea when & where the next meeting will be for 2014?

A: the next meeting is always posted on the forum.. you can visit the home page of CCA, or look under the "next meeting" tab..

i hope this helps even just a little.. :)

Last edited:
Welcome Bill, good luck with your quest. You will find so many nice fish in your search your next questions will be about how to squeeze as many tank in a certain area!

Ading522

Members
your next questions will be about how to squeeze as many tank in a certain area!

Lol.. It EVENTUALLY happens to anyone who's joined CCA and got "hooked" into collecting..:) definitely won't deny it never happened to me..

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Beeman

Members
Welcome Bill. You stumbled upon a gem in finding CCA. So many friendly, helpful, knowledgeable folks here.
Just my 2 cents as to cichlids. As far as eye catching color, something approaching salt water fish, I'd say look into the males of the Africans. Super cool fish! But when it comes to personality, I say central and south american cichlids. I am partial to these I must say. In the end, I say 2 or 3 or 5 tanks of each! It WILL happen, so just go with the flow.
Enjoy the forum. Attend a meeting. Become a fellow addict!:lol:

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Welcome Bill. I must say. In the end, I say 2 or 3 or 5 tanks of each! It WILL happen, so just go with the flow.
Enjoy the forum. Attend a meeting. Become a fellow addict!:lol:

Africans for color and personality
Males only tanks are awesome
Here's a site with a list of Malawi http://www.african-cichlid.com/Lake_Malawi.htm
But look into lake Victoria or Tanganyika they are slightly less aggressive...so I hear.
Key with Africans. footprint of the tank and enough rocks and caves for everyone to claim a spot.

I will second...you came to the right place everyone is very helpful and full of knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app