• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Utility shelves for fish tanks?

Becca

Members
I have a Gorilla Rack utility shelf that I'd like to use for fish tanks. The shelving is similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Rack-GRZ6-4824-5IMP-72-Inch-Shelving/dp/B000WEMI7W

The shelves can easily hold the weight of what I want to put on them (a 20 long on 1 shelf and a 40 breeder on the other), but are made of a compressed particle board, which can warp when it gets wet.

I tucked heavy-duty construction trash bags over the shelves so that they are well protected, but I'm wondering if a product like Varthane (clear polyurethane coat) would be helpful here?

Has anyone tried this?

I'm honestly less worried about the 40 breeder than I am about the 20 long. The size of the 40 allows 3 of the 4 sides to sit squarely on the metal support beams for the shelving, but the 20 long is not wide enough to do this and only 1 side, at most, could rest on a support beam.

Any thoughts?

I had the shelving already, hence why I'd like to use it. Plus, it is adjustable and I can build it without power tools that I don't have.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've used similar shelves made by Edsall with good results. If your shelves are like mine, the partical board sits on a lip in the horizontal supports. The actual weight of the tank is transferred from the trim on the tank to these supports, and the partical board is just a cushion in between. I've had my set up for over a year and have had no degredation of the shelves. Works great for me, even without doing anything to the partical board. If you are really worried, swap it out for plywood.

Becca

Members
Yes - the board sits on a lip. For the 40 gallon, it would sit on the lip with no board, the 20 gallon doesn't, though.

If you haven't had trouble, I wonder if my trash bag solution is enough to do the trick... Maybe I should add some duct-tape for good measure...

JasonC

Members
If you are really worried, swap it out for plywood.

+1 on this suggestion. And with the opposing grain of the layers on the ply, this is a stronger solution than the particle board anyways.

Was looking at these same shelves via ULine or McMaster, myself, and was planning to use ply for the shelves... buying the shelves a-la-carte, you pay a fortune for the particle shelf blanks.

npbarca

Members
Just cut 2 2by4s to the length of the shelf, so it fits on the lip. Then, you can move them around to make sure your tank is evenly supported.

captmicha

Members
I would be safe and poly it. Water could possibly get under the trash bags... I know I could manage to do it somehow.

Becca

Members
I'm going to cut some plywood... eventually... LOL. So far I haven't filled the tanks, so it's no biggie.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Sorry -- it's just that when I think of cinder blocks and wood, I have visions of how I lived during my college years.

It looks fine for a fish room, of course.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've seen some nice looking block and wood stands, when used with cloth or tile :)

Matt

PS Not as nice looking as Bob Bock's Jorts, though!

Sorry -- it's just that when I think of cinder blocks and wood, I have visions of how I lived during my college years.

It looks fine for a fish room, of course.