• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

wanted ac 110

minifoot77

Members
i am putting an extra filter on my 120 after its crash today...(lost lots of comps calvus occies hecqui paracyps...) i have and am stuck on the aquaclear 110 if you have one laying around and want a reasonable price for it pm or post here...

Ophelia77

Members
officially we are blaming the over-abundance of MTS.... On the plus side the assassin snails finally reproduced, just in a different tank LOL

mscichlid

Founder
One day I spent hours collecting those buggers and throwing them in the trash. Then the pond snails took over. Did the same thing. Now I put an algae tab or veggie in a net at night. Lift it out in the am and dump 'em in the trash. F'n snails.

Ophelia77

Members
We took out the remaining fish (8 nigripinnis, 15 petricola babies, 1 yellow calvus female, 1 red-fin lubufu comp probably female, 2 lelupi [Not yours Pat], 1 L. speciousus, and 6 yellow calvus fry), drained the entire tank, strained the sand, rinsed off rocks, took out half the sand and re-scaped. It's being refilled now. Water parameters tested normal. The good thing is the breeding group of yellow calvus came out a while ago. I'm surprised the fry in the fry basket made it through the crash.

I HATE MTS.

How did they crash your tank? (I assume by crash you mean an ammonia/nitrite spike?)

Glad to hear the precious petricola made it! (BTW, your eight are living in a huge anubias. It's like a catfish condo. Several share leaves all the way from bottom to top. They are ignoring the beautiful caves I built for them.)

I lost an entire male peacock/hap tank (and four mature multipunctatus) to an unexplained nitrite spike a few years ago. It was beyond horrible. To this day, I keep several bottles of Dr. Tim's One and Only on hand at all times. I'm not going to be pulling dead bodies out of a tank every again (if I can help it).

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Rats! Sorry guys.

In everyday life, nothing takes the wind out of your sails more than coming home to a tank full of floating fish.

Ophelia77

Members
I HATE MTS.

How did they crash your tank? (I assume by crash you mean an ammonia/nitrite spike?)

Glad to hear the precious petricola made it! (BTW, your eight are living in a huge anubias. It's like a catfish condo. Several share leaves all the way from bottom to top. They are ignoring the beautiful caves I built for them.)

I lost an entire male peacock/hap tank (and four mature multipunctatus) to an unexplained nitrite spike a few years ago. It was beyond horrible. To this day, I keep several bottles of Dr. Tim's One and Only on hand at all times. I'm not going to be pulling dead bodies out of a tank every again (if I can help it).

We're guessing they stirred up and released some bad gas pockets in the overly huge sand bed. (which is why most of the sand came out with the redesign) It happened overnight, so there was no warning, and we were in the process of "trapping" the MTS like Franny had mentioned (bait and dump) We are hoping adding the AC 110 will help prevent this from happening again.

Good to hear the babies are happy:) They are a fun little group to watch; Thankfully the breeding group is in a different tank.

I looked up the "Dr. Tim's One and Only" - How does it help a well-established tank? Since this happened overnight, we had no warning, and the tank had been running fine for well over 8 months.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
A big shot of Prime will also help in an emergency until you can get your water changed out.

Ophelia -- in my "crashes," I lose my biological filter, even in an established tank, for reasons that aren't always clear. In my one big drama, I was able to notice something amiss and take water parameters and realize the nitrite was going off the charts. In that case, though, even massive water changes didn't help, and I also woke up to a tank of dead fish. In another case, though, I dumped in several bottles of Dr. Tim's and got the bacteria re-established quick enough.

But it doesn't sound like it would have helped your situation.

Ophelia77

Members
A big shot of Prime will also help in an emergency until you can get your water changed out.

Trust me, I grabbed the oldest boy and started siphoning water, pulling rocks, plants, shells, dead fish in one container, live in a bucket with a filter, etc. It was all going at once ;)

[I hope you all don't think Caleb changes much tank water around here LMAO] But good to know about the Prime - would you use one dose, 2, or what?

Ophelia -- in my "crashes," I lose my biological filter

How do you "lose" an established Biological filter? It's not like they grow legs and walk off LOL does the spike kill the good bacteria?

How do you "lose" an established Biological filter? It's not like they grow legs and walk off LOL does the spike kill the good bacteria?

It's always a good question -- one I don't have a good answer for. The spike is the result of the good bacteria going AWOL . . .

Hawkman2000

Members
This is why I always add 1 cap full of Stability for every 5 gallons of water I change out of a tank. Keeps the cycle steady.

eelsnot

Members
One day I spent hours collecting those buggers and throwing them in the trash. Then the pond snails took over. Did the same thing. Now I put an algae tab or veggie in a net at night. Lift it out in the am and dump 'em in the trash. F'n snails.

Never tried this before. Works great. Thanks!