• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Switching Sw Set Up To Fw Set Up

craby

Members
I'm switching from the salt water relm to the fresh water relm. I am setting up a 70 gal tall (36x18x25 tall) w/ approx. 30 Julidocromis Marlieri's. I have the following ?'s:

1) I have some really nice live rock w/ lots of holes for them to hide in left over from my SW set up. Can I use it w/ the Tangs? Do I need to cure it? How?

2) I have (2) 24" Daylight 10K VHO's, (2) 400w 14K MH's, & (2) moon lights left over from my SW set up. What of this would you use on a Tang tank?

3) I have a w/d filter w/ Mag 7 return pump. Do you think this is enought/too much tank to sump turn over?

4) I have (4) Tunze Turbelle streams (flow rate 900 GPM min., 1600 GPM max.). The tank is really tall, but I don't know if it will be too much flow. Do you see any issue w/ using one or two of them, or should I just use Maxi Jet 1200 power heads?

5) I have a new bag of course crushed coral & some old crushed coral from my SW set up. Should I pitch the old crushed coral, or can it be salvaged? How can I salvage it?

6) I'm thinking of adding some Brichardi's to the mix in a little while. I'm also thinking of putting the 2" sand bed in the w/d filter sump & going bare bottom in the main tank. Do you see any adverse effects of going this route as far as biological filtration & the Brichardi's wanting to dig? :huh:

Thanks for your replies,
Luke C.

JustRon

Members
I have used gravel from a SW setup in FW. I just established the tank and cleaned frequently before adding fish, vacuum the gravel well. Same with rocks.

I wouldnt use the MH lights

The filters are fine and flow as well, better to overfilter than under.

I think that got your questions.