• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

yesterday's fish panic

chriscoli

Administrator
I was in the fishroom yesterday when I noticed one of my adult male Ptychochromis oligacanthus (very awesome Malagasy cichlid http://www.cichlidae.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5833) with something hanging out of his mouth. On closer inspection, it turns out to be the back half of a pandy cory.

(sigh)

So I wait, and watch....the Ptychochromis isn't panicked, but he's obviously not happy either. And the cory is clearly dead.

So, do I wait? or do I intervene? I REALLY like the Ptychochromis and would be really pissed if I lost him....so I decide to intervene.

I netted the Ptychochromis out and left him partially wrapped in the net and then wrapped in a wet towel outside of that and kept just his head sticking out so I could work on it.

Then I opened his mouth to inspect. Yep, just as I had feared, spines from the cory are protruding out one cheek and another one under his chin.

I was able to clip the spine from under his chin off from the outside but had to reach inside the Ptychochromis' mouth with a small pair of scissors to clip the cory's pectoral fin off which was the spine protruding from his cheek.

Once those were off, I was able to back the spines the rest of the way out and remove the cory.

The Ptychochroms is back in his tank and looks no worse for his adventure. I'll be keeping an eye out for any sign of infection, but his jaw seems fine. I was concerned I might have dislocated it in the attempt to remove the cory since at one point I had a pair of scissors and a pair of fine-tipped tweezers in there at the same time.

lkelly

Members
Really? No handheld self-shot video of the procedure? Maybe even queue up some background music (I suggest Van Halen's 'Somebody Get Me A Doctor') just before starting next time.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Glad you were able to save him. I assume you pulled any remaining cories from the tank?

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

AquaStudent

Members
Really? No handheld self-shot video of the procedure? Maybe even queue up some background music (I suggest Van Halen's 'Somebody Get Me A Doctor') just before starting next time.

I agree!

Glad everything seems to be going smoothly. Let's hope infection stays away.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Well done

One could do no less, but certainly not as well. Let's hear it for courageous intervention and its competent prosecution.

They still spawning like there's no tomorrow?

chriscoli

Administrator
Glad you were able to save him. I assume you pulled any remaining cories from the tank?

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

That's my project for tonight!

I totally tried to get some pics, but none were worthy of posting! :)

One could do no less, but certainly not as well. Let's hear it for courageous intervention and its competent prosecution.

They still spawning like there's no tomorrow?

They're taking a break from spawning at the moment (they just fired off three batches of eggs in rapid succession last month), but I've noticed that if I give the heater a boost, the extra warmth seems to trigger it. They're slated to get moved into a different tank soon (without egg predators), so they'll be one of my next projects, I assure you.

You are lucky to have saved him. More often, intervention can do more harm or even kill him if you pull too hard and damage his jaw. If you see a fish suck in his mouth, and he has no difficulty breathing, the best action is do nothing. The stuck fish will decay in two to three days and he will be able to get rid of it. But if the fish shows stress of breathing, you have no choice but to intervene.

chriscoli

Administrator
You are lucky to have saved him. More often, intervention can do more harm or even kill him if you pull too hard and damage his jaw. If you see a fish suck in his mouth, and he has no difficulty breathing, the best action is do nothing. The stuck fish will decay in two to three days and he will be able to get rid of it. But if the fish shows stress of breathing, you have no choice but to intervene.

I totally agree, and I've given exactly the same advice. This fish was not having difficulty breathing, but what made me decide to intervene were several factors:
- the fish was clearly having moments of anxiety
- the spines were really protruding, so even when the Cory did decay, I was still concerned about the spines being an issue
- this is a fish with a fairly big mouth, so I was confident I'd have some room to work.

I did stop several times to assess if I was doing any damage and from what I could tell, I wasn't. I was prepared to stop and put the fish back in the tank with the Cory still in its mouth at the slightest issue. I was not going to do anything that required force.

I feel I did luck out this time.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I totally agree, and I've given exactly the same advice. This fish was not having difficulty breathing, but what made me decide to intervene were several factors:
- the fish was clearly having moments of anxiety
- the spines were really protruding, so even when the Cory did decay, I was still concerned about the spines being an issue
- this is a fish with a fairly big mouth, so I was confident I'd have some room to work.

I did stop several times to assess if I was doing any damage and from what I could tell, I wasn't. I was prepared to stop and put the fish back in the tank with the Cory still in its mouth at the slightest issue. I was not going to do anything that required force.

I feel I did luck out this time.

I completely agree...but sometimes it sucks to not even try.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app