• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Water Pump Suggestions Wanted

halak

Members
I am looking to get a pump that could pump water about 100 feet including going up one story. Any ideas? I'm trying to make my water changes give me less of a workout.

harlowe777

Members
I have one that will do more than what you need..I have a large jacuzzi pump I used for my 240. It will pump water up many stories..lol..50$..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
You might need to look at a flow diagram for the pump you are thinking about. The water flow (pump rate) may be 1800 gallons per hour if you are pumping on level ground, but could be half of that if the same pump must pump water up 8 feet to a second story.
http://pentairaes.com/mag-drive-pump-1-200-gph-110-w-w-18-power-cord.html gives a chart for Mag pumps.

If the flow is low you will feel like you are standing there forever to get the tank filled, so you do something else and then you have water running down the stairs.

kevin911

Members
If you are trying to save on electricity while having the extra gph as well, I have a dolphin 2000gph. It runs just slightly more wattage than a mag 9.5 but more than 2x the power. $99 :)

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ezrk

Members
We have a basement bathroom with a shower and use a couple of adapters to go from a diverter off the showerhead to a garden hose. This is a much simpler method of achieving this than going from water source -> holding tank -> pump. You are pulling straight from the main water supply and your hot water tank with plenty (hopefully) of water pressure.

You can get everything you need for this at Home Depot/Lowes.

halak

Members
I have a rain barrel in my basement that I use to let water sit (and let the chlorine evaporate) for at least a day and then use it for changing water. I would need a pump to move the water from the barrel into my tanks upstairs (I can do the ones in the basement). I have two Mags now to move water from my tanks and to move the water into the tanks downstairs. A month or so ago I had a hernia operation and realized that maybe I got into that health trouble because of carrying 5 gallon buckets of water up the stairs (which I actually enjoyed doing). I could start carrying those buckets again, but I am thinking about forgoing it. (I only had hernia on one side, so I could always get it on the other, for instance.)
Thank you all for your suggestions so far. I am getting a 100 foot-long python for Christmas, so then I would need to buy a pump to go with it.
Becca-Have you bought one for yourself? I just want to make sure I get one that is strong enough.
I would buy a used one from somebody here, but I am not willing to drive to Virginia for it.